Can't drag shortcuts to taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• When I drag (or right-click drag) an icon from the Start menu to my (unlocked) taskbar I get a red-circle with a slash, indicating the operation is not allowed. What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

Barkingdog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Barkingdog, what application icon do you want to pin? Some application can’t be pinned to the taskbar, such as Certain executable files as well as shortcuts that contain certain strings (for example,  "Help", "Documentation", "Install" and so on) in their name are automatically excluded from pinning.

Moreover, please check whether you have set the “Remove pinned programs from the taskbar” Group Policy, if so,  the application may not be able to pin to the taskbar.

Reference:

How to Pin Special Windows Items to the Taskbar

And there is a link maybe helpful to you:

Fix Unable to Pin App to Taskbar and Start Menu (Missing Context Menu and Jump Lists) Error in Windows 7

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:45 AM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:20 AM