Virtual PC 2007 & Vista VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have installed Virtual PC 2007 on my Windows 7 machine and am trying to install a VM of 32-bit Vista Ultimate.  However when I get to the install location it tells me "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk.  Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."  Now I have checked the Host's bios and enabled the Intel Virtulization on the CPU but there is nothing about the disk controllers.  Also the VM BIOS has nothing about bootable hard disks.  Where am I going wrong with this?
    Michael R. Mastro II
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:55 PM

Answers

• It wasn't the host BIOS at all.  Finally fixed it and installed Vista.  Tried the VM BIOS default first, still did not work.  Then went back to the VM BIOS and loaded the FailSafe Settings.  This worked.
    Michael R. Mastro II
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and the hardware drivers first.

After that, you may perform the steps during the Windows Vista installation in Windows Virtual PC 2007.

1.    During the Windows Vista installation, select Drive Options.

2.    Create one or more partitions on all the hard disks that are not initialized.

3.    Restart the virtual machine.

4.    Install Windows Vista.

For more information, you may refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/925481

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:32 AM
  • It wasn't the host BIOS at all.  Finally fixed it and installed Vista.  Tried the VM BIOS default first, still did not work.  Then went back to the VM BIOS and loaded the FailSafe Settings.  This worked.
    Michael R. Mastro II
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:14 AM