none
Secondary DPM Recovery Point Schedule Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm experiencing some confusion regarding how secondary servers create recovery points, and therefore not getting the level of protection I'm expecting for short-term / disk recovery.

A quick rundown of the environment and schedules for short-term recovery (we also do tape backups but I don't believe that affects this):

1. Primary DPM Server, Exchange Protection Group
      Retention Range - 30 Days
      Synchronization Frequency - Every 15 minutes
      Recovery Points - Based on synchronization frequency
      Express Full Backup - 8:00 PM Everyday
    2. Primary DPM Server, File Protection Group
      Recovery Points For Files - 6am, 12pm everyday
    3. Primary DPM Server, SQL Protection Group (All databases SQL 2005+ compatibility mode, full recovery model)
      Recovery Points - Based on synchronization frequency
      Express Full Backup - 8:00 PM Everyday
    On the primary server, the result of this is available recovery times every 15 minute, going back 30 days for SQL Databases and Exchange, and recovery points at 5am and 12pm going back 30 days for files.  All this is as I would expect it.

On the secondary dpm server, I have a single protection group that consists of pretty much everything under Protected Servers for the primary dpm server, as well as the primary dpm SQL database.  Its schedule is:
    • Retention Range - 30 days
    • Synchronization Frequency - Every 24 hours
    • File Recover Points - 6pm everyday
    • Application Reccovery Point Recovery Points - Base on sync frequency (every 24 hours)
    • Application Full Backup - 8pm daily. 
    Here is where it gets weird for me.
    I understand that the seconday DPM server is protecting replicas, and not the data directly, but I'm still seeing unexpected recovery times on the secondary server.

Files show recovery times for 12am every day.
    I would expect 6am or 12pm based upon the primary schedule, with those points becoming available at 6pm for the day.

For SQL and Exchange, I see recovery points every 15 minutes from 8pm until around midnight, but nothing from then until 8pm the following night.

I'm guessing the is related to a cleanup job that DPM supposedly runs at midnight, or some confusion regarding transaction logs when the day changes, but I'm really not certain.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could explain the recovery times I'm seeing, and/or make suggestions for alterations to the schedules to provide a recovery range similar to what I'm seeing on the primary DPM server.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:42 PM

Answers

• From what I understand .... When you create secondary protection on your DPM server the default synchronisation start time is midnight with a 0 hour offset.

From an Exchange point of view. The primary is creating an express full at 8:00pm and synchronising every 15 minutes (so Exchange logs will be cleared at 8:00pm on the primary)- the secondary has a schedule to sync and create a recovery point based on the sync frequency. So you'll get the database and the log files from between 8pm to midnight from the primary because the sync schedule offset is set to 0 hours and starts at midnight.

Again with file synchronisation, DPM is syncing every 15 minutes on the primary which will update the replica volume but does not create a point of recovery as it's not transactional data. Your RP is 6am and 12pm but the replica volume will be updating every 15 minutes on the primary. When the secondary file synchronisation takes place with the default setting of midnight with a 0 hour offset, the Recovery Point on the secondary will be created based on the replica volumes information which is getting updated every 15 minutes because of the primary's sync schedule.

If you wanted to get the data from the previous day on the secondary then you would need to off-set the secondary's sync schedule (and subsequent RP) to before the primary RP takes place for app data and to the point in time when you wanted the file data you would need to modify that off-set.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:46 AM