none
setting default view in PWA 2013 project center? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Is that possible to set a view with special "grouped by" as a default view for project center for all users in PWA 2013? 

We want to have a view grouped by departments, and all users see this view at first

thanks 

Monday, June 15, 2015 11:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Marymk1363,

The answer is no.  The default view is the summary view.  I agree what you would like to do would be desirable, but Microsoft have chosen not to implement it.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by Mary.k1363 Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:48 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Mary,

you can create Project/Project Center views using server setting options, more details here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg597631(v=office.14).aspx

However, please note that user can always change views settings of their own profile such as group by/filter etc. etc. and these changes will stay for that user profile only.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Monday, June 15, 2015 4:31 PM
  • Hi Marymk1363,

The answer is no.  The default view is the summary view.  I agree what you would like to do would be desirable, but Microsoft have chosen not to implement it.

• Marked as answer by Mary.k1363 Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:48 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 8:24 PM
  • Actually, the answer is yes, if you are comfortable with a bit of customization using JavaScript.

1. Create the view as documented by Khurram.

2. Navigate to the Project Center, editing the page and add a Script Editor web part

3. Edit the snippet on the web part and add the following code:

var projCenterExt;
    var JsGridSatellite;

_spBodyOnLoadFunctionNames.push("projCenterChangeView")

function projCenterChangeView()
    {
       if (window.location.search.toLowerCase().indexOf("viewuid") >= 0)
       {
          var JsGridViewUid = window.location.search.toLowerCase().split("viewuid=")[1].split("&")[0];

if (typeof projectCenterComponent !== 'undefined')
          {
             if (typeof JsGridSatellite === 'undefined') JsGridSatellite = projectCenterComponent.get_GridSatellite();

JsGridSatellite.LoadNewView({uid: JsGridViewUid});
          }
       }
    }

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:30 PM
  • Thanks Daniel for sharing this.  I'm no coder so would like to ask a question.  Where in the script do I define which view I want as the default - do I need the view ID or something similar? 

Friday, August 26, 2016 8:32 AM
  • There is no modification needed for the code as it is generic and will only "do something" if the Project Center (/pwa/Projects.aspx) URL has an additional URL query string of "ViewUID".

You would get the GUID from the view defined in the PWA settings page.  If you click on "Manage Views" and select a Project Center view, when it opens the URL will contain that ViewUid from that item.

Here is the URL from my PWA site:

https://myProjectServer/sites/pwa/_layouts/15/pwa/Admin/ViewsAddMod.aspx?idViewUID=63d3499e-df27-401c-af58-ebb9607beae8&idViewType=1

The "63d3499e-df27-401c-af58-ebb9607beae8" is the view GUID.

To then use this you functionality to change the Project Center view, you would add the query string to the URL for the project center (the code makes the "ViewUID" non-case sensitive):

https://myProjectServer/sites/pwa/Projects.aspx?ViewUID=63d3499e-df27-401c-af58-ebb9607beae8

Monday, August 29, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Hello Daniel,

This trick is not working in my case.

I have project Server 2013 and I am using the same query string you have mentioned. However it is opening the summary view only.

Do I need to update any setting? 

Friday, November 4, 2016 5:33 AM
  • Hey Daniel

Thanks for this. It worked wonderfully on Chrome however on IE 11, it has rendered 2 project center grids! Does this work for you on IE 11?

Monday, November 7, 2016 1:36 AM
  • In my case the Daniel's script works but with a minor modification. I changed viewuid by idviewuid.

Hope works for you.

Daniel Villacis

Daniel Villacis

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:13 PM