none
Hyper-V Basic Question

Question

• I have a bare metal backup of a Windows Server 2012 R2 Machine. Can that be pulled into a Hyper-V Server running Windows Server 2008 R2?
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:40 PM

All replies

• Not directly as far as I know. What you might try is build a new 2012 R2 VM from scratch, patch it fully, then try to use windows backup to restore from the backup (system state?)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:47 PM
  • Will try that, Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>I have a bare metal backup of a Windows Server 2012 R2 Machine

If I recall it correctly , bare metal recovery needs same hardware version .

Few years ago , I tried to recover a bare metal backup (Physical server) to a VM , it doesn't work .

If you want to move OS from physical server to virtual you may consider disk2VHD :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Or using P2V feature of SCVMM .

Hope it is helpful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Thanks, I will try that.
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 5:10 PM
  • I'm currently running Windows Server 2008 and its Hyper-V. Will it be able to see a VHDX file? If not can I convert a VHDX to VHD?
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:55 PM
  • I'm currently running Windows Server 2008 and its Hyper-V. Will it be able to see a VHDX file? If not can I convert a VHDX to VHD?

I thought you meant a backup from a physical server where the hardware failed. Does the operating system start? If so you can live migrate (if enabled on source and target) or simply export from 2008 host > copy it over > import on 2012 host

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 8:27 PM
  • I'm sorry for not explaining this correctly...Here's the situation. I have a Windows 2012 R2 Server that's up and running fine. I want to have a process by which if the 2012 R2 Server fails, I can have some type of backup or VHD to pull it into a Hyper-V environment on another Server running 2008 R2 thus allowing the client little down time as possible.
    Friday, May 5, 2017 2:15 PM
  • I'd test it first but does not sound like a great solution. Stand up the new VM, then attempt to restore the system state to the VM to see if it is successful. You didn't say what roles or applications but if it is a domain controller or any time sensitive data then there could be roll back and or data loss issues with this plan.

Friday, May 5, 2017 2:31 PM
  • Will review the link. Again, thanks for the advice.
    Friday, May 5, 2017 2:58 PM
  • You're welcome.

Friday, May 5, 2017 3:03 PM
  • I think you can, i did this not for Windows Servers but for Windows XP workstations that run special software for process control. I created an image with Norton Ghost then i restored image on a VM Windows XP. Is obvious that i got a blue screen but i used Windows XP disk to repair OS and all works good. You can try this.

Hope helps you.

Friday, May 5, 2017 6:58 PM