Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP(upgraded XP Pro SP3) retail freezes intermittently for no particular reason RRS feed

• Question

• Last year I upgraded my P-IV, 2.4 Quad-core, Q6600, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB RAID mirror from XP Pro 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit Professional (Retail).  For the most part it has been far more stable than XP Pro.  (My XP Pro was plagued with BSDs)  However, I have been plagued with intermittent freezes now where for no apparent reason, no consistent reason, Windows just freezes.  No error messages, no BSD, however my mouse and keyboard still works, but attempting to activate Task Manager, my dual monitors just go black, and Task Manager never starts.  I can do Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Task selection screen, but no matter what I choose, all that happens is that the screens go black.  I have tried waiting it out a couple of times to see if it thaws, but it never does.  I have to hit the reset button.  I always run a disk check afterwards (which I used to run on a weekly basis.)  I keep up with all 'Important or Critical' updates.  I'm just frustrated that I can't figure out what to do to fix it.

I ran the Memtest as suggested here, but it found no problems.

Monday, March 28, 2011 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before upgrading to Windows 7, have you run the Windows upgrade Advisor? What is your computer model? You need to make sure your computer model is compatible with Windows 7.

I suggest you go to the manufacture's site to load the latest devices drivers, chipset and BIOS. Also check if the issue occurs in Safe Mode. If not, you can perform a Clean Boot to narrow down the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, April 4, 2011 9:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SheaEllison Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Can you tell us wath is the blue screen ?
    ITBM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Yes, I did run the upgrade advisor before upgrading to Windows 7.  I also checked with the hardware vendor to verify it was Windows 7 compatible as well as 64-bit compatible.

Shea "Connecting kindred spirits for a world of good"
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:54 AM
  • Thanks, I did run memtest and it did not find any problems.  I also downloaded memtest86+ and will give that a try.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:00 AM
  • This is a duplicate

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:01 AM
  • DUPLICATE
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:03 AM
  • No blue screen.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:04 AM