Work distribution on the resources RRS feed

• Question

• I have a business requirement for the below.

Task is 20 hours assigned to 2.5 resource (R1(100%), R2(100%), R3(50%). Duration become 1.67 days with the distribution of work as 6.67 hours for R1 and R2 on day 1, and 4 hours for R3 on day 1 and 2.67 hours on Day 2.

Is there any setting I can do so it first assigned work to R1 & R2 to have them 100% allocated and then check R3?

I know if I assigned the work (20 hours) first to R1, then R2 and R3, it distributes 8, 8 and 4 and duration is 1 day. But is it any other way to do it?

Much appreciated.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:22 PM

All replies

• MuhNav --

Try the following:

1. Select the task in question and set the Duration to 1 day.
    2. Right-click anywhere in the Gantt Chart pane and select Show Split.
    3. In the bottom pane (Task Form), delete any resources already assigned to the task and then click the OK button.
    4. In the bottom pane, select all three resources, set the Units values to 100%, 100% and 50%, set their Work to 8 hours, 8 hours, and 4 hours, and then click the OK button.

That is how I would personally handle this situation.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for the quick response. I think I didn't explain the issue in clear detail. Let me reiterate it again:

If I have a 20 hours task having 2.5 resource (R1, R2 and R3(50%) ), what project does is allocate 6.67 hours to R1 and R2 and 4 + 2.67 hours to R3. Is there a way (setting) I can turn on so it distributes 8 hours to R1, 8 hours to R2 and 4 hours to R3 (that way the task would end in 1 day). The task is Fixed Unit (Effort driven).

Actually I made it a sample case, this is happening in one of our client’s project plan, having hundreds of tasks. So manual updating of hours in the assignments is not an option.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Hi MuhNav,

Actually I'd recommand you to use a usage view (either task or resource usage view). Doing this, you'll be able to distribute the exact quantity of work for each assignment on a specific period. To select the appropriate timescale, go to "view" tab then select for timescale "day" or "week".

Usage views allow you to enter directly in a "excel-like" grid quantity (work, cost, actuals) per assignments per period.

Does that answer you need?

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure the task is effort driven. set duration to 20 hrs (2,5 days)

Assign R1as 100%, enter

Add R2 as 100%, enter

add R3 as 50%.

Greetings,

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Thanks Jan.

This indeed does the trick as we are explicitly assigning work to resources one by one, so remaining 4 hours would be assigned to R3 [50%].

But the issue is, resource and work are already populated. Now changing the work is extending the duration even resources have the capacity to do more work (without overallocation) and finish the task earlier.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:21 PM
  • Hi,

This is a new question, let's agree the first one is solved.

You can change the work without altering duration if you set the task type to fixd duration. That will of course change the load of the resources and there is no guarantee that they will not be overallocated.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want to achieve.

Greetings,

Friday, November 8, 2013 8:28 AM