none
PowerQuery 2.34 date/numeric processing errors RRS feed

• Question

• At the suggestion of an update pop-up, I downloaded and installed PowerQuery_2.34 (after removing PowerQuery_2.25) and several of my formerly working queries were failing. I narrowed the issue down to any in-stream numeric/date data manipulation:

1. filtering of a date/time field to restrict the data pull (e.g. Table.SelectRows(MyBiz, each Date.IsInCurrentDay([SnapDate])) ) generates an processing data error message.
      [Note: SnapDate comes in as date/time format (mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss), is tagged as a date field in the header, and presents me with date-related filters.]
    2. type conversion of a date/time field to date (e.g. Table.TransformColumnTypes(Latest,{{"SnapDate", type date}}) )
      [Note: values are replaced by "Error".]
    3. Adding an calculation column (e.g. Table.AddColumn(#"Add Data Items", "AllQty", each [Billing Qty]+[Backlog Qty]) )
      [Note: values are replaced by "Error".]

Each/all of these manipulations caused all subsequent operations, and of course the query, to fail - even if I tried re-creating the original query and filters from scratch. Furthermore, the data-type icons appearing at the top of the data preview columns (which start out okay), go haywire with even the simplest filter request on numeric or date fields.

I uninstalled v2.34 and re-installed v2.25 and all my workbooks and queries worked again.

Please advise if there's a bug fix for this so I can get back to the supposed benefits of the latest version.

Respectfully,

Gus

• Edited by GusGarcia Friday, July 1, 2016 2:08 PM to facilitate search for topic
    Friday, July 1, 2016 12:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• What are the error messages you get? You may need to click on the word "error" to see them. And what data source(s) are you using?
    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Hi Gus,

Can you try installing the latest build version (2.35.4399.761 at the time of writing) and let us know if you experience the same issues?

You can download this build here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39379&CorrelationId=957b81f7-9263-402b-b15f-fc689c8cad9e

If you do still get the same issues with the latest build, can you kindly provide the information that Curt has asked for.

Regards,

Michael Amadi

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Saturday, August 13, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Gus,

Sorry to piggyback here :) but is this an excel issue or a PBID issue?  

Curt or Mike,

I've asked this q a on a couple of different threads but no answer as yet.  How do you manage PQ versioning in 2016 Excel? It's implied that the latest version of Office (Excel) has the latest PQ version.  Trying to install PQ utilizing the link above says it's already in Excel, look at Data tab :\.  I am running a trial version of 365 PPlus with 2016 apps.  I can assure you I am NOT running the latest version because I compare the features with PBID.  Colin Banfield has suggested that these 2 products may not have consistent PQ versions/functionality.  Help!  Many thanks.

Saturday, August 13, 2016 10:18 AM
  • When troubleshooting, we sometimes ask customers to install PBI Desktop because
    1) PBI Desktop is "ahead" of Power Query and Excel 16 in terms of the Power Query functionality. We want to see whether the problem still exists in more recent versions of the code or if it has already been fixed.
    2) Users can't actually replace the Power Query functionality inside Excel 16; they need a newer or older version of Excel as a whole, something which they frequently can't do.

Monday, August 15, 2016 5:16 PM
  • Hi Curt,

Thanks for your input.   Unfortunately, it seems Excel PQ users are at a disadvantage.  It would help tremendously if we knew what (PQ) functionality is included in which 2016 (Office) Excel release since we can't seem to even get the PQ version.  Is there any release documentation out there ?  Many thanks.  

Monday, August 15, 2016 7:47 PM