Code 8024200D after regular updates. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've formatted my PC already do to this error alone about 6 or 7 times in a row now. I have NOT been able to get passed this error and it's frustrating me as none of the post nor fixes I've read about apply. My code is NOT being generated by a SP installation just every day security updates or Updates for Windows. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and I've tried the upgrade, the tool solution, and as mentioned before many... many... Formats. None seem to clear the error past the same set of updates. After attempting to install the troublesome updates with failures as a result I decided to hide them and continue updating Windows. Maybe an update along the lines fixed the problem. I got the option to update Windows to SP2 and so I did. After this I returned to the updates to find out they still error Code 8024200D as always. I hid them again and found 1 new important update, and it error Code 8024200D. Now I'm about to Hide that update too in hopes of finishing updating this machine so I can have a working fully updated clean Install. Here is a list of the updates in question.

Here is the list of all the Failed Updates

Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800706be: Hotfix for Windows (KB947821).
    Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB2443685).
    Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB967723).
    Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB2345886).
    Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB2378111).
    Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB970430).
    Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB972145).

I don't install anything on the machine that is not necessary prior to the first set of updates after a format. I am not running any anti-virus software, firewalls, nothing. I usually wait for the machine to update fully before I install anything of mines on here. Problem is this time my attempt on a clean install of Vista has been seriously blocked do to some security updates and Windows Updates that simply do not want to install. Any ideas what's going on? In the mean time I'll continue to hide those updates and see how far I can get this windows updated.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: Just Finished updating after hiding those failed updates... had some new ones... result was 3 out of 4 succeeded while one failed with error code 8000FFFF. Update that failed is Platform Update for Windows Vista x64-based Systems (KB971644)

Here are the details:

Platform Update for Windows Vista x64-based Systems (KB971644)

Installation date: ‎6/‎12/‎2011 3:12 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8000FFFF

Update type: Recommended

The Platform Update for Windows Vista is a collection of runtime libraries that make it easy for developers to target a wider customer base. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/FWlink/?LinkID=160189

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Sunday, June 12, 2011 6:50 PM

Answers

• SUCCESS... well I hope even for future updates.

I've finish installing all the important updates without error! Now I'm just taking care of the optional updates like the windows Ultimate Extras and language packages I like to have installed. I was hoping I wouldn't have to start a forum Discussion and I would have figured it out before asking someone on the net for help. Turns out I jumped the gun. But seeing how I figured out this puzzle without any sort of mention on this particular scenario anywhere on the net, I hope this serves someone some help.

To recap the solution. If you have a copy of Windows Vista x64 Ultimate edition without any SP or even with SP1 installed on it, be sure if you format, that when you update your Windows not to allow the Automatic Updates to install any Service Packs Prior to the updates under the current Version you Have. For example, if you do not have SP1 do not install SP1 until your Windows Updates list has finished Installing all the other updates first. Always restart and refresh the Windows Update list to make sure new updates haven't shown up before you attempt to install the SP. I also took steps to prevent .NET and IE upgrades and updates to ensure these major software installs wouldn't impede the hotfixes, security updates, and important updates that amass.

It only took around 8 Formats in a period of 5 days to figure out, close to 0% help from the internet and a call to the Activation Center to activate my Windows, to finally get this far... And I thought I had it rough with Windows XP Pro x64 when it first came out. I wish someone somewhere would have mentioned to leave the SP for last, would have made a huge difference in the time I would have gotten this settled.

A final thought. Shouldn't MS be taking care of this mess? I mean, the Update system clearly did not recognize the importance in the order of installation. In fact it literally drilled the SP first every time. It wasn't until I took manual control of the order of installs did I get past the blockade, not to mention once I had suffered the error code, there was no hope. I couldn't get my system to do the Upgrade fix, all I got was a failed attempt to upgrade windows. The tool provided failed to even install. Hell even when I formatted the Updates were always installing in the wrong order and once the SP1 was installed and the error code started on the other updates, uninstalling the SP did not help get rid of the error. I figure someone in MS should find a way to get Windows Updates to recognize the importance of installing other updates prior to even suggesting a SP needs to be installed. Also there should be a new error code for this particular event since the Code 8024200D didn't provide any search results for the problem I dealt with and the solution I concluded. May help to identify the problem quickly next time around.

Well hope this may serve someone some help in the future, as I mentioned this particular problem with this error code was drastically different from the ones I found around.

Monday, June 13, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Interesting Analysis:

I came across the same problem AGAIN. This time though it appeared after installing the Language Packs and Windows Ultimate Extra's, I haven't pin pointed which of the optional downloads requires updates that simply produce the Code 8024200D error, but it is one of the important updates for one of the Optional updates. Somehow it just doesn't work on my machine. I uninstalled the Extra, and Optional Updates and the important updates are no longer found or needed.

I'll keep looking into this and post anything else I run across.

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• Well I optioned for a last effort to format my computer again... The difference this time is to install all the updates, but leave out the Service Packs until no other updates could be found. So far it seems Like I've managed to get further then before in updating my machine. No problems to report when I skip installation of the Service Packs. My current position is installing SP2 for Windows Vista x64 now. So I'll post after this SP is installed if any other updates found after this install errors.

The steps I took are as follows.

Windows Installation Completed:

(For this Installation Only) I installed my anti-virus software, and various drivers excluding the onboard Network drivers. As well as installed other programs I use.

After the installation of the mentioned software packages I proceeded to install the Network Drivers to initiate Windows Updating. Set Windows Automatic Update options to show new updates but not Download or install automatically.

Check for Updates, Scan the updates list and remove any .NET Framework updates and Service Packs and any Internet Explorer browser upgrades, e.g. IE7 to IE8, etc.

Begin Update with the remaining selected updates.

After no other updates could be found I included the IE upgrades. Followed by any new additional update for the IE.

Then I followed with the .NET Frameworks but not including the SP1.

After all updates installed, after, installing .NET are completed I began the SP1 installation.

Once SP1 was installed new updates appeared.

Scanned Updates for any SP, .NET, and IE updates. Found SP2 and more .NET and IE updates. Removed them from the installation queue and started updating.

After all updates have been installed and no others could be found I proceeded with IE, and all the new updates after installing the IE stuff. Then .NET and all the new updates found after installing the .NET updates.

Finally I'm working on installing SP2 with no errors so far.

Now I have a NEW problem... which hopefully by the end of updating will resolve itself. The New Problem is as follows. Every time I format windows, and have the Network Drivers installed I instantly activate Windows... I think I forgot to do it this round. Seems my windows isn't activated and every time I hit activate it won't do it online anymore... like if I've changed my equipment in the machine or according to the message like if another computer has my windows activated. I'm sure the updated Hardware drivers may be causing Windows to think it's a different machine, or the windows updates have changed some description code on my hardware and it no longer recognizes my hardware... whatever it is, the last thing I need for today (4:00 am) is to be on the phone with the activation center over something like this... *sigh* Hopefully it will activate without a problem over the phone. Will post later on the final result.

Edit: SP2 installed alright with no errors, called the activation center and got windows activated. New updates found after SP2 was installed proceeding with these current updates following same patterned used above to minimize possible update installation error. Forgot to mention earlier that in my prior update attempts that ended with the code error, while updating I had included optional updates. This time around I have not included ANY optional updates of any kind to minimize potential problems. So far everything seems to be running alright.

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:00 AM
  • SUCCESS... well I hope even for future updates.

I've finish installing all the important updates without error! Now I'm just taking care of the optional updates like the windows Ultimate Extras and language packages I like to have installed. I was hoping I wouldn't have to start a forum Discussion and I would have figured it out before asking someone on the net for help. Turns out I jumped the gun. But seeing how I figured out this puzzle without any sort of mention on this particular scenario anywhere on the net, I hope this serves someone some help.

To recap the solution. If you have a copy of Windows Vista x64 Ultimate edition without any SP or even with SP1 installed on it, be sure if you format, that when you update your Windows not to allow the Automatic Updates to install any Service Packs Prior to the updates under the current Version you Have. For example, if you do not have SP1 do not install SP1 until your Windows Updates list has finished Installing all the other updates first. Always restart and refresh the Windows Update list to make sure new updates haven't shown up before you attempt to install the SP. I also took steps to prevent .NET and IE upgrades and updates to ensure these major software installs wouldn't impede the hotfixes, security updates, and important updates that amass.

It only took around 8 Formats in a period of 5 days to figure out, close to 0% help from the internet and a call to the Activation Center to activate my Windows, to finally get this far... And I thought I had it rough with Windows XP Pro x64 when it first came out. I wish someone somewhere would have mentioned to leave the SP for last, would have made a huge difference in the time I would have gotten this settled.

A final thought. Shouldn't MS be taking care of this mess? I mean, the Update system clearly did not recognize the importance in the order of installation. In fact it literally drilled the SP first every time. It wasn't until I took manual control of the order of installs did I get past the blockade, not to mention once I had suffered the error code, there was no hope. I couldn't get my system to do the Upgrade fix, all I got was a failed attempt to upgrade windows. The tool provided failed to even install. Hell even when I formatted the Updates were always installing in the wrong order and once the SP1 was installed and the error code started on the other updates, uninstalling the SP did not help get rid of the error. I figure someone in MS should find a way to get Windows Updates to recognize the importance of installing other updates prior to even suggesting a SP needs to be installed. Also there should be a new error code for this particular event since the Code 8024200D didn't provide any search results for the problem I dealt with and the solution I concluded. May help to identify the problem quickly next time around.

Well hope this may serve someone some help in the future, as I mentioned this particular problem with this error code was drastically different from the ones I found around.

Monday, June 13, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Interesting Analysis:

I came across the same problem AGAIN. This time though it appeared after installing the Language Packs and Windows Ultimate Extra's, I haven't pin pointed which of the optional downloads requires updates that simply produce the Code 8024200D error, but it is one of the important updates for one of the Optional updates. Somehow it just doesn't work on my machine. I uninstalled the Extra, and Optional Updates and the important updates are no longer found or needed.

I'll keep looking into this and post anything else I run across.

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:12 PM
  • It finally appears to be the Language packs. After uninstalling those optional updates I was back to normal. I was able to install every other optional update outside of the Language packs alright with no problem. Although after uninstalling the language packs I want to have installed, I can't reinstall them. I get some other error and it won't install them. Oh well, I can live without them really, just a bummer I cant have them.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed analysis.

I am sure this will benefit ours members in this forum. Your time and effort is greated appreciated.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, June 17, 2011 6:28 AM
  • hi, can't believe I found this thread!, I have just had virtually the same experience and have spent 7 days and at least 3 installs until I had Vista Ultimate 64bit installed. To be honest this is the first O/S I have ever installed and I never realised it would be this difficult. As soon as I solved/fixed a problem or got around something I was stuck/unsure of I then would come across another problem, I was literally pulling my hair out and almost was in tears a one point. I found that the updates at first never installed or failed due to the Firewall, it needs to be turned off during all the updates. My first attempt at installing I never got the updates for the Services packs, so I tried to manually download/install them but this way but they failed too. I then did a clean/re-installed/ of the the O/S and made sure I had the firewall turned off, I then got the updates for the services packs- for both 1 and 2 and all was going well, every update had installed. I then decided to install the language packs, before I had not tried to install them due to space issues on my hard drive but I was now using a bigger drive. The language packs installed fine, everyone with no problems, although they do take a long time to install all of them- up to around 12 hours it took for me. After that their are more updates, this feels like it is never ending by now, this is where the updates started to Fail to install after the language packs as stated by the gentleman above, I tried with the Firewall Off and then On and Off again, each time getting failed results, I have about a dozen or more failed installed updates now. All it says about the errors for failing to install is that I may need to Restart my Computer for the installs to take effect, that certainly is not the issue or cause. So that is where I'm up to with my installation of Vista Ultimate, it does actually install well, but that is only when you know how to do it, and this takes a lot of trial and error and time. It should have been a lot more straight forward to do, and this could have been achieved if Microsoft simply gave us the correct installation instructions to start with instead of leaving us to work it out ourselves. Admittedly when you do manage to install Vista you do feel as  though you have really achieved something, but for some people I could clearly see why they would just give up, time being a big factor, as it takes an age to do an install and then if you to do it again and again it gets to the point where you start to feel like you are going insane. I have now got to try and solve this new issue of these updates not installing again. Oh well another day at it again in the morning!.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 3:28 AM
  • The interesting part of my story above is simply the fact I build PCs frequently, not to mention the one I've worked on with the issue mentioned above. So installing an OS, formatting to clean the PC and bring it back to Default Status, as well as installing drivers and third party software is easy stuff. I simply had no idea why Windows Vista went on the fritz this format. It's like Microsoft produced one version of updates when I had bought Windows Vista, and then changed them (but kept the same K# code) near the time I had to format my machine. It felt like I wasn't installing any updates I had installed when I had built this PC. In fact the first install of windows vista the OS felt a lot smoother when operating then this second install. But that could be my imagination and perception altered by the experience. Anyhow, I still haven't tried to trouble shoot the issue I had last with the language packs not reinstalling after I had uninstalled them. Actually I haven't even tried after I got the error to try and install them again. I just left it at that in fear that any new updates may be affected by their presence.

As for you f1rem0uth congratulation in joining the ranks of do-it-yourself. Normally installing any OS from Linux to Windows is generally straight forward. It's once you need to update or install drivers that things get a little choppy. For example; the latest drivers for my video card require that you have the latest version of .NET Framework installed. Otherwise you run into a world of trouble, with junk data and possible corrupted unfinished installs of software that was designed to operate your Graphic Card. So after a fresh Format I always keep my original Driver disk my Video Card came with since I know it's a tried and tested version on a fresh format. Same for all my other peripherals. Even so after updating the new updates can really mess with your drivers and have many components stop working. It's a headache but for me it keeps me entertained while doing something that interest me.

Hopefully you can find join in it too even if it makes you want to cry at one point or another.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:28 AM