none
Windows 7 Enterprise bug - file save-as renames a file if passing through a folder shortcut RRS feed

• Question

• On my work computer (Windows 7 Enterprise), I've noticed a very strange and troublesome bug appears when navigating the Save-As directory.  The usual Google searches are utterly fruitless and bloated with far-off tangents completely unrelated to this issue... and a search of this forum and help library are equally helpless, so I thought I'd try a more direct approach.

I use custom shortcuts to zip through my folder hierarchies (my personal way of organizing stuff, since I use tons of folders).  I simply ctrl+C (copy) the folder I want to link to, then right-click and pick "paste shortcut", to make my little quick-link.  That's what I mean by "shortcut" henceforth (nothing to do with keyboard shortcuts).

So, in any program (for example, AutoCAD 2013), pick "Save As..." and the standard browsing dialogue box opens up.  Normal behavior is opening a folder to save the file in it, or going up a level.  No problem.

The issue happens when clicking through one of those shortcuts I mentioned above.  When you do this, Win7 inexplicably (and very annoyingly) changes the existing SaveAs filename (default, or one you entered) to the name of that shortcut instead, destroying the original filename in the process.

An example: create a folder in your My Documents, then a shortcut for it (as explain above).  Now try saving an image from Wikipedia or something, into that folder you just created.  If you get there via the folder itself, no problem: you can save the file as its original name.  But if you use the shortcut, it follows the shortcut through to the folder (as it should), but now the SaveAs name assumes the name of the shortcut (which is this bug).

A more specific example, with hypothetical filenames and folders:

1. Create a folder in My Documents (or wherever you like) named "Submarines"
    2. Make a shortcut to that folder, named "Submarines - Shortcut"
    3. Save image from the internet that is named "nuclear_submarine.jpg"
    4. Double-click on the shortcut to reach the folder "Submarines": your SaveAs field deleted "nuclear_submarine.jpg" and is now trying to save "Submarines - Shortcut.jpg" instead.
    5. Rage at the bug for screwing up your file.

I have Windows XP at home, and can confirm it has never had this behavior, because I use such shortcuts all the time.  Windows XP treats such shortcuts exactly like ordinary folders you might browse through, without mucking up the name of the file you're trying to save; it just jumps to the designated location and keeps the SaveAs filename intact.  That is the proper behavior for shortcuts.

I'm planning to get Windows 7 Pro for my new home PC, but seeing this bug at work has given me pause; this bug will destroy my whole file-saving system.  I would really like to know if this bug is exclusive to Win7 Enterprise or not... and if not, if there's a way to fix it, or a third-party freeware patch/extension to correct the bug if Microsoft is unwilling to patch it themselves (or maybe they are calling it a "feature").  Thank you for your time.

• Edited by TgrStrp Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:01 AM fix typo
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have followed the example you mentioned to save a picture to the folder shortcut, and the name won't change to the shortcut. Also the picture would be saved into the original folder.

Here is the steps I did:

1. Create a folder named New folder in My documents:

2. Select it and then press ctrl + C and right-click on destop choose paste shortcut(named New folder-Shortcut);

3. Right-click on a picture in one webpage then open the save picture as dialog box;

4. Navigate to the desktop folder shortcut and double-click into it, the file name field won't change;

5. My machine is Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

Would you please tell some more details on how you saved the picture?

In addition, there might be some other applications triggered this action, we may take a look with process monitor:

The download link here:

Process monitor

And here is a blog talking about how to use it:

Process Monitor - Hands-On Labs and Examples

If possible, please redo the action, then upload the result into onedrive and paste the link here.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 28, 2014 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have followed the example you mentioned to save a picture to the folder shortcut, and the name won't change to the shortcut. Also the picture would be saved into the original folder.

Here is the steps I did:

1. Create a folder named New folder in My documents:

2. Select it and then press ctrl + C and right-click on destop choose paste shortcut(named New folder-Shortcut);

3. Right-click on a picture in one webpage then open the save picture as dialog box;

4. Navigate to the desktop folder shortcut and double-click into it, the file name field won't change;

5. My machine is Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

Would you please tell some more details on how you saved the picture?

In addition, there might be some other applications triggered this action, we may take a look with process monitor:

The download link here:

Process monitor

And here is a blog talking about how to use it:

Process Monitor - Hands-On Labs and Examples

If possible, please redo the action, then upload the result into onedrive and paste the link here.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 28, 2014 2:29 AM
  • I have a slightly different problem since I started using Windows 7 Enterprise.

When a wish to save a file using the SAVE command it shows me the original directory of the file and I save it without any problem.

However, if I use SAVE US in order ro choose the directory, it opens the directories window and immediately the program in use crashes opening a window which says (program) has stopped working or similar. After several retrials (running again the program) I eventually can save as.

Can you explian this and offer a solution, please?

Thank you

Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:04 AM
  • I, too, suffer from this issue.  Most of my shortcuts are to network drives/shares.  Did you ever find an acceptable solution?  

-- JDCochran

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:57 PM