none
Can't Unlock/Repair Bitlocker Encrypted Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have a Bitlocker encrypted external HDD without any OS installed in it. I plugged it to pc with usb then i unlocked my drive on Win10 with my password as usual then i was copying the data from my unlocked Bitlocker encrypted drive to another non-encrypted drive. Then power cut suddenly. After that i can't access my Bitlocker encrypted drive anymore.

-When i try to unlock that drive from Windows Explorer pop-up says "Encryption on this drive is not compatible with your Windows. Try to unlock it with newer version of Windows." without password space and recoverypassword/recoverykey input options. But my Win10 is fully updated.

-Tried Win7 results are same.

-I tried repair-bde with both "-pw -Force" (standart bitlocker password) and "-rp -Force"(48 digit recovery password) options to decrypt it to another HDD with both "-Drive:" and "Drive:\recoveryimage.img" recovered data outputs. After recover to "-Drive:" option finishesi can't access to recovery target drive which is RAW (CHKDSK /f not works for that RAW) and i can't access to that recovery target drive too.  After trying output to "-Drive:\recoveryimage.img" i used many programs like 7-Zip and IMG virtual mount programs. 7-Zip can't extract that and .img file that virtually mounted drive is also RAW.

-I tried, recover with thirdparty recovery tools for recovering data from bitlocker encrypted drive some of them fails, some of them founds file structures with all files all those files recovered but i can't open any of them.

-I also tried manage-bde -bitlockerdrive -protectors -get the output is "ERROR: No key protectors found".

I think encrypted drive's protectors are corrupted thats why Windows can't decrypt it. Maybe i run out of options. How can i restore my data, i think i tried everything. I have the standart Bitlocker password and recovery password that is 48 digits.

Sorry for grammer mistakes. Thanks.

Monday, July 3, 2017 11:06 PM

Answers

• This is no yes/no reply. You could be lucky after trying different tools, maybe you succeed. One cannot judge without being an expert in data recovery AND having the drive in front of him.

So if the data is important to you, create a sector-by sector clone using clonezilla and try recovery on the clone.

if it is very very important, ask data recovery companies.

• Marked as answer by cem.albayrak Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:05 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

The 48 digit recovery key is the last method we could use to re-gain access to the bitlocker drive. If you have tried it and it still fails, yous best bet is asking data recovery company for help. If there is no need to recovery the data, you could also format the removable drive to re-use it

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 9:46 AM
  • All that you can do you already did. All above that would need experts in data recovery and still you cannot be sure if those succeed completely, so learn a lesson: backup - always.

Data recovery experts take money even if they don't succeed, so ask for advice before you make a contract with them.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

Here are the outputs for process i told above: 

http://gss.gs/C0h.jpg //G: is bitlocker encrypted drive, F: is output drive for recovery

http://gss.gs/H9H.jpg //F: is bitlocker encrypted drive

-When i try to unlock that drive from Windows Explorer pop-up says "Encryption on this drive is not compatible with your Windows. Try to unlock it with newer version of Windows." without password and recoverypassword/recoverykey input options. But my Win10 is fully updated (1703)

-Tried Win7 popup came without asking any password "Failed to unlock the drive. No protector keys found in this drive."

-I also tried manage-bde -bitlockerdrive -protectors -get the output is "ERROR: No key protectors found". But drive seems like encrypted already.

-I tried repair-bde with 48 digits recovery password for recovering data to another HDD. Recovery done without any errors. Then did "chkdsk outputdrive: /f" it says "File system is NTFS. The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt. Reading second NTFS boot sector instead. Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted." The disk shown as RAW and i can't access it.

-After that i also tried thirdparty recovery tools for recovering data on the drive that created after repair-bde (decrypted RAW one). I recovered all my files without any corruption. But all of them shown as RAW files and had randomized names without folder structure. Somehow repair-bde can't transfer folder structure. I tried thirdparty recovery tools on unaccessable Bitlocker encrypted drive. It listed all my files with correct file names and folders and i can recover them but they are bitlocker encrypted and i can't open them. So folder structure on encrypted drive is not corrupted i think but i can't recover them because they are encrypted and i can't open any file. I need folder structure, my files are too dispersed. What is the solution ?  Like repairing bitlocker encrypted partition somehow or unlocking it with recovery password somehow or recover encrypted files then recover them with recovery password somehow or recover files in RAW drive with folder structure ? I need to recover my files without breaking folder structure. I don't know much about bitlocker or ntfs. I don't know if the file system, partition table, master file table, master boot record, boot sectors are corrupted.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 2:28 PM
  • Cem, you need to understand, that what you are currently doing could render your data unusable for good.

There are programs like clonezilla that can create an exact copy of your drive in its current state sector-wise. You can do tests and experiments with the copy, but don't do it on the original.

I told you that at the windows side of things, there are no trick nor anything - all you could do, you did already. If recovery tools are used, they would need the drive in an unencrypted state - if decryption succeeded (takes a while), then those might have a chance.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Bitlocker recovery decryption succeeded but i can't recover the folder structure. Repair-bde output drive is gone raw after that. All files accessible after deep scan RAW recovery with thirdpartytools but no folder structure here and all file names are randomized. So,is it impossible to recover folder structure ?
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 10:35 AM
  • This is no yes/no reply. You could be lucky after trying different tools, maybe you succeed. One cannot judge without being an expert in data recovery AND having the drive in front of him.

So if the data is important to you, create a sector-by sector clone using clonezilla and try recovery on the clone.

if it is very very important, ask data recovery companies.

• Marked as answer by cem.albayrak Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:05 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:03 AM
  • Hi Cem

So late to this discussion, but would you tell me what third party recovery tools you used to recover data from the (Decrypted Raw hard disk).

I have exactly the same problem (it seems common with Microsoft bitlocker on external hard disks).

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi Cem

So late to this discussion, but would you tell me what third party recovery tools you used to recover data from the (Decrypted Raw hard disk).

I have exactly the same problem (it seems common with Microsoft bitlocker on external hard disks).

Thanks.

same here
    Friday, December 6, 2019 7:31 PM