In Word 2010, how to save the custom caption labels to be copied to another PC RRS feed

• Question

• In Word, you can create captions.  When you select insert, captions in Word 2010, you have the option to create a nw label.  I have some users who have created many complex caption labels. They want to be able to save them so that if they get another computer or if someone else joins their group, they do not have to re-create these labels.  So my question is, is there a file that saves these settings that can be moved to another computer in order for that other computer to have these custom caption labels?
    Kim
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:18 PM

Answers

• In Word 2007 and 2010, the captions are stored in the Normal.dotm template. Backing up that file is sufficient to save the captions. Although you could copy the captions from one computer to another by copying the Normal.dotm template, that might not be advisable if the template contains other customizations (which is its basic purpose).

I believe a macro could be created to save the information from one computer's CaptionLabels collection so it could be imported into another computer, but there are some complications to look at.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:32 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 6:12 PM

All replies

• In Word 2007 and 2010, the captions are stored in the Normal.dotm template. Backing up that file is sufficient to save the captions. Although you could copy the captions from one computer to another by copying the Normal.dotm template, that might not be advisable if the template contains other customizations (which is its basic purpose).

I believe a macro could be created to save the information from one computer's CaptionLabels collection so it could be imported into another computer, but there are some complications to look at.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:32 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

Since there is a period of time without any respond, I will temporary mark the reply as answer to closed this thread.And if you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer, this thread will be re-opened.

And many thanks for Jay Freedman's kindly sharing.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Thank you,  Jay!
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:31 PM