none
Public folder - message size limits and sub folders RRS feed

• Question

• We have Exchange 2010, Public folders are still on Exchagne 2007 while we work on migrating them over to 2010.

I need to setup permissions so users cannot place email messages over say 3mb in the public folders.  I can set this on the main folder for 2012 Emails however subfolders are not getting the limitations set on the parent.

is there a way to push this so all existing folders and any new folders and subfolders get these limitations? 

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:44 PM

Answers

• Using the following command sets the folder \Root Public Folder\Subfolder to a 3MB item limit and sets all folders below it the same.
    Get-PublicFolder -Identity "\Root Public Folder\Subfolder" -Recurse | Set-PublicFolder -MaxItemSize 3MB 

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP, Moderator Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ron HRC Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:14 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ron HRC Friday, February 3, 2012 2:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ron HRC Friday, February 3, 2012 9:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:17 AM

All replies

• Using the following command sets the folder \Root Public Folder\Subfolder to a 3MB item limit and sets all folders below it the same.
    Get-PublicFolder -Identity "\Root Public Folder\Subfolder" -Recurse | Set-PublicFolder -MaxItemSize 3MB 

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP, Moderator Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ron HRC Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:14 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ron HRC Friday, February 3, 2012 2:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ron HRC Friday, February 3, 2012 9:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:17 AM
  • Ed, Thanks for the reply I think were getting closer

So I needed to run

Get-PublicFolder -Identity "\Root Public Folder\Subfolder" -Recurse | Set-PublicFolder -UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults $false

First to allow the parameter to be set.

After I did this is did set the folder and subfolder correctly with the 3MB limit

However, when I created a new folder under the Subfolder it did not get the 3MB limit and went back to use the database quota defaults.  Is there a way to get this to default to 3MB for all new folders and subfolders?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Apparently not.  You could put the command in a .ps1 file and schedule it to run from time to time.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Thank you Ed

I will look at either changing this at the Public Folder database level or running it as a .ps1 file throughout the day.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Yesterday I set Storage Limits -> Maximum item size (MB) to the Public Folder database

I have it set to 1MB (really trying to restrict and stop the usage of public folders)

the change was applied, I waited 2 hours and tried copying a 5MB email into the public folders and it copyed it there just fine

I used the Public Folder Management Console and verified that the User database quota defaults was checked and it is....

so how do I get this to quota to actually be enforced?

Thank for helping!

Friday, February 3, 2012 2:16 PM
  • A better way to restrict the use of public folders is to change rights.  Take away everyone's ability to write to them, granting them read access only.

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:47 PM