User account type changes by itself RRS feed

• Question

• So I did a fresh install of the new build and when I looked at the user account it was set to standard and not administrator. So I redid the install and when I looked at the user type it was administrator. Cool. I just tried to move a folder and got the I don't have sufficient privelages to do so. I looked at the user type for the account and what do you know...it's on standard. I can't change it no matter what I try. Even if I log in as the local Administrator I can't change it. In fact when I click on Manage Users no accounts show up at all!!!

I'm simply on a home network with a workgroup and not a domain.

It's nice to be able to block certain aspects of system properties and all but when I'm the main admin of my own home network it's silly to think I can't even be an admin even when I'm logged in as the local administrator!

I'm a systems engineer for Sony Pictures so I know that it's not me that's doing this! Everything was fine on build 5384(I think that was the last build I was on) and ever since installing this build it's become ever so confusing as to what is truly going on here.

Any insight to this that I may be overlooking here?

Thanks

Opus
    Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:52 PM

Answers

• Please submit a bug report on this. Thanks.
    Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:23 PM

All replies

• On what build is this occuring?

What exactly are the screens/prompts you see and the responses you choose?

Monday, August 14, 2006 9:44 PM
  • New build, 5742.

No prompts, just simply went to the user account page and went to change type...it's set to standard. I change it to Admin, save changes then go back and nothing has changed. Even if I try this as the Administrator it does the same thing. When I do any changes no prompts or screen changes in any way.

Just seems very broken to me.

Opus
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:25 AM
  • I've been having the same problem on 5472 x64.  I've also noticed that if I try to change my account picture, no pictures are displayed.  In fact, in the main User Accounts CP window my picture is not displayed.  I cannot even add any additional accounts, either as Standard or Administrator.  Very weird :x
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:40 PM
  • Please submit a bug report on this. Thanks.
    Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:23 PM
  • I'm new at this and no longer a hard core IT Pro so please forgive my lack of trouble shooting skills.

I appear to have the same problem on a Vista Ultimate installation.

All account types appear to be "standard" however I have not been denied access to some services when I am in an administrator accounts.  For example, I can enter an administrator password when prompted to do so from a standard account.

I was not able to change folder permissions but I was not aware of the account type glitch at the time so I just attributed it to my knowledge (I don't do it very often). 

Hope this information is some help in tracking down the problem.

Sunday, February 1, 2009 4:03 AM