Lync Standard Server logons+Enterprise voice failover RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are implementing two Lync Standard servers. Users share the same sip domain (domain.x). I want half the users to always logon to Lyncserver1 and the other half to always logon to lyncserver2.

Lyncserver1 will use lyncserver2 for voice failover

Lyncserver2 will use Lyncserver 1 for voice failover

Is the best way to direct the logons to use group policy? If group policy is used will this have any side effects on failover for resiliency?

Celtic
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you deploy two Lync SE servers in your domain, you can enable 50% users in one Lync server and another 50% user in another lync server. This can be sure 50% users login one server and 50% users in another server. But the user enabled in one server can not login another lync server. And the group policy can not do it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:41 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Hello

There is good information on site resiliancy at this location.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=2774

One pool can be a secondary registrar for another pool for resiliancy.  This link has the basic information.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff799213.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Jay Brummett Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:35 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:35 AM

All replies

• I hope I understand the question.  Users will be automaticly directed to their home servers.  The servers are aware of each other so if a user were to try and logon to the wrong server it would just redirect them to the server they are homed on.  A director would be the best solution.  This role's responsibility is to authenticate the user and direct them to their home server.   

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Hi Jay,

The client does not want to deploy extra server for directors, that would involve deploying two additional Lync servers so that they are fault tolerant. The two Lync Servers will be located in the same datacentre. We want to split the users so that if one server goes down only 50% of the users will have limited functionality.

So question is how to get 50% of users to always login to one Lync Server and 50% of users to always log into other Lync Server.

I can only see it possible to do this using lync adm file through group policy?

Celtic
    • Edited by TechnoMusic Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Actually when I think of it again one srv record should work two A records with same name and IP of each Lync Server? The Lync standard servers will be able to proxy the user to their home server?
    Celtic
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:31 PM
  •  

OK, so you understand this would be easier/better with enterprise edition, which will act as a single pool (but at a cost and requiring back end full sql). Users are automatically evenly balanced over available front end servers. It sounds like this is what you want to achieve really.

Assuming you do really want 2 x SE. They will be two different pools, and each pool will be the others backup registrar.You will assign the users to one pool or another.

Note this will allow users to failover from one pool to another for voice only, at that point you have to do some manual steps to restore full user services.

If there are not loads of users, I would run one server as live and one as a hot DR, as it makes the restore easier in the event the primary server goes down

As for DNS in this model, you want 2 x sip.xx.yy records pointing to both servers, if users hit the one that isn't their home pool they will be redirected to the other.

There are other consideration here, you need to understand pool level failovers/backup registrars. Start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff799213.aspx

hope that helps

Tom

Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe for updates: Email or RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Thanks Tom,

I understand the Enterprise option but sql cluster backend was not an option for this deployment.

Thanks for validating that my DNS records would work with standard edition. Its pretty much the same dns setup that would be used for lync enterprise load balancing

Cheers

Celtic
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

If you deploy two Lync SE servers in your domain, you can enable 50% users in one Lync server and another 50% user in another lync server. This can be sure 50% users login one server and 50% users in another server. But the user enabled in one server can not login another lync server. And the group policy can not do it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Hello

There is good information on site resiliancy at this location.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=2774

One pool can be a secondary registrar for another pool for resiliancy.  This link has the basic information.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff799213.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Jay Brummett Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:35 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:35 AM