none
Sorry, we couldn't follow the document

Question

• I recently updated security patch for SharePoint KB3054858 (MS15-081: Security update for Word Automation Services on SharePoint Server 2013: August 11, 2015)

Now I cannot follow or unfollow documents or site using the default Follow button.

Every user gets an error message "Something went wrong"
    Sorry, we couldn't follow the document.

Technical Details
    Unexpected response from server. The status code of response is '400'. The status text of response is 'Bad Request'.

I try the usual things and ensured that the AppPool Account has all required permissions on the database. But as this function worked right before installation of the Security patch I digged deeper into the ULS logs and found the following message:

MonitoredScope Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowedContent is created in new Thread 83 where the parent Request (POST:https://sp-dev.devserver.com:443/_vti_bin/client.svc/ProcessQuery) is on 37

Entering monitored scope (Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowedContent). Parent Request (POST:https://sp-dev.devserver.com:443/_vti_bin/client.svc/ProcessQuery)

Entering Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowedContent

SharePoint Foundation CSOM High 
    Exception occured in scope Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowedContent. Exception=System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowPersonalSiteUrl()'. 
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileServerStub.GetProperty(Object target, String propName, ProxyContext proxyContext)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerStub.GetPropertyWithMonitoredScope(Object target, String propertyName, ProxyContext proxyContext) 

SocialRESTExceptionProcessingHandler.DoServerExceptionProcessing - SharePoint Server Exception [System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowPersonalSiteUrl()'.   
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileServerStub.GetProperty(Object target, String propName, ProxyContext proxyContext)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerStub.GetPropertyWithMonitoredScope(Object target, String propertyName, ProxyContext proxyContext)]

In dead the KB mentions that there are updated version of UserProfile.dll and js in this package. But what the hack...

Search, UPS, MySites ... are working fine.
    Current SP version is 15.0.4737.1000 (July 2015)

I have the same issues on 4 different farm I manage (dev, test, prod).

Is there any help or has anyone else seen this problem (and hopefully has a solution for me?)

Thanks a lot.

Christian O. Metz

Saturday, August 15, 2015 9:18 AM

Answers

• We had same issue, caused by latest updates from Windows Update. For me it seems as the update depends on newer version of some libraries. So we solved the problem by installing latest CU (August 2015) and running configuration wizards on all servers.
    Monday, August 17, 2015 8:37 AM
  • Thanks a lot, Baguk.

I also tried to install the latest CU August 2015 on our test machines and voilà ... it works again.

It really looks like there is a mismatch between dlls that came from the security patches via Windows Update and the expected dll that will be delivered by the CU.
    Strange and it makes me feel a bit nervous as I do not want to updated every CU every month (due to the fact that there might be changes and all our customizations have to re-tested again and again). Therefore we planned to only upgrade every 3 month and install all security and OS patches immediately. But now we can say goodbye to this strategy.

Christian O. Metz

Monday, August 17, 2015 10:08 AM

All replies

• Refer: https://penainformatika.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/sp2013-sorry-we-couldnt-follow-the-document/

Regards,
    Rupesh Singh
    Blog: www.codemanga.com
    Site: www.ngenioussolutions.com/
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please don't forget to mark it as answered, if your problem resolved or helpful.

Saturday, August 15, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Make sure the file Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ServerStub.dll in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\webApp\_app_bin matches the size/version of the file of the same name located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\CONFIG\BIN.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Saturday, August 15, 2015 4:58 PM
  • No. Please read the message, too.

As mentioned. This function work 5 days ago, right before installing the security patch. Furthermore is there no entry in the ULS that mention "cannot open database" or something like this. But there is the message "Exception occured in scope Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowedContent. Exception=System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowPersonalSiteUrl()'. "

Christian O. Metz

Monday, August 17, 2015 8:28 AM
  • Thanks for this tip. But unfortunately the dll from 15 hive and the app_bin(s) (both mysite web and the one web app) and the web services app are identical. Version of the Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ServerStub.dll is 15.0.4745.1000, Date modified 14 /07/ 2015 12:59 and size 367 KB.

I have also checked that there are only those four dll on the whole machine.

Is there any registration of this dll required within the web.config? Cause I haven't found anything like this.

Christian O. Metz

• We had same issue, caused by latest updates from Windows Update. For me it seems as the update depends on newer version of some libraries. So we solved the problem by installing latest CU (August 2015) and running configuration wizards on all servers.
  • Thanks a lot, Baguk.

I also tried to install the latest CU August 2015 on our test machines and voilà ... it works again.

It really looks like there is a mismatch between dlls that came from the security patches via Windows Update and the expected dll that will be delivered by the CU.
    Strange and it makes me feel a bit nervous as I do not want to updated every CU every month (due to the fact that there might be changes and all our customizations have to re-tested again and again). Therefore we planned to only upgrade every 3 month and install all security and OS patches immediately. But now we can say goodbye to this strategy.

Christian O. Metz

Monday, August 17, 2015 10:08 AM
  • We still have the issue after installing the August CU :( all the DLL's on all the servers in our environment match, any idea what else I can do to get this functionality back

Cheers

Pen

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 10:38 AM
  • Hi Pen,

have you - like we did - run psconfig on every machine after installing de CU + have you also installed the security patch from Windows Update (KB3054858)?

Next you could check the right versions of the dlls. (version no. above)

Christian O. Metz

Friday, August 21, 2015 7:03 AM
  • Look at the ULS logs again after installing the CU and running Product Config Wiz to make sure you're getting the same error. After installing the CU we were still getting the same error through the SharePoint UI, however, the ULS logs showed an Unauthorized error. I believe this is because there was a new feature released in this CU that will write On-Prem followed sites to O365 if you have the Hybrid Site Features enabled through Central Admin. If you don't have a trust setup yet, which you didn't need prior to this CU, the an unauthorized error will occur. I disabled the Hybrid Site feature, keeping the OneDrive hybrid feature enabled and am now able to follow sites and documents without issues.
    Friday, August 21, 2015 8:06 PM
  • What is the version of Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ServerStub.dll after you installed Aug CU?

Mahesh Paripalli

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 9:23 AM
  • You may also need to run the Config Wizard a total of 3 times to fully updated when the August CU is deployed.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 2:28 PM
  • We have been experiencing the same issue.

However we are at patch level 15.0.4753.1000 (up to September 2015).

Do we need to just keep running the psconfig a few more times to solve this or is there another/better solution we should try?

Thanks,
    Richard

Monday, September 14, 2015 11:17 PM
  • We're also in the same boat.  I think I'm going to just go with the September Uber update, anyone know of any issues going that route?

Thx,

Chad

Friday, September 25, 2015 10:11 PM
  • Any news on this issue We have the same thing going on !!!!!
    Thursday, October 08, 2015 1:36 PM
  • We faced the same issue on several enviroments. Going to September 15 fixed it. But I'd like to know which windows update actually is responsible here - to exclude this KB for other clients.

I dont think "KB3054858" is causing this alone.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Same problem here (can't follow sites or documents).

Do I understand it correctly, that you can solve it by applying this update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3054858, and then running the wizard?

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:10 PM
  • Yes.

Patched the farms to September 2015 CU - issue gone.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2986213

But by now there is October available ...consider using this.

And then either Wizard with GUI or powershell (on all farm member server)

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd secureresources

• Edited by m15ell Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:08 AM
  • We are getting the same issue right after installation of August 2015 CU.  The strange thing is, the issue occures in the production farm only.  With the same CU installed, our test farm is still working fine.

Check the file of Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ServerStub.dll.  In our production farm, this file is dated 08/12/2015 04:19AM 376,488 bytes.  All copies are identifical. 

Meanwhile, in our test environment, this file is dated on 01/23/2014 07:05AM 375,896 bytes.  All copies are identical, too.

Check the Windows update history, our production servers have been updated much more frequent by our server team.

But this file only occurs under SharePoint's folder.  So it is more likely updated by SharePoint's CU instead of OS patches. 

I am not sure what to do it now.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:44 PM
  • I did some more research on the file of Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ServerStub.dll and here are what I found.

The working file on my test environment, dated on 01/23/2014 07:05AM with a size 375,896 bytes, has listed since June 2014 CU file list.  The build no for this file is 15.0.4454.1000.

The no-working file on my production environment, dated on 08/12/2015 04:19AM with a size of 376,488 bytes, started to be listed since August 2015 CU file list.  The build no. for this file is 15.0.4745.1000.

After August CU installation, the build no is 15.0.4745.1000 for SharePoint 2013.

If I overwrite all Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ServerStub.dll files on the production with the file from my test environment, the Follow error would be fixed.

But I am not sure if this is right way to fix it.  The copy of 15.0.4745.1000 file has been included all CU release till November.  That means even I restore this file now, the future CU installation would overwrite it again.

• Edited by CCFCaregiver Thursday, November 12, 2015 4:24 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 4:22 PM
  • The issue went away after September 2015 CU installation.
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 6:43 PM
  • You'll have to forgive the shameless plug here, but I've taken a fairly detailed look at this [site and document follow] issue and blogged about the causes and solutions here: http://www.benjaminathawes.com/2016/01/15/solving-site-and-document-follow-issues-in-sharepoint-2013-caused-by-security-updates/. 

It turns out that there are four separate security updates that can cause the issue: 

• KB3054858
    • KB3054813
    • KB3085477
    • KB3101364

The October 2015 PU (KB3085567), or the August 2015 CU or later resolves the problem. 

HTH

Benjamin Athawes

MCTS & MCITP SharePoint Server
    Follow me on Twitter
    SharePoint Blog

Monday, January 18, 2016 11:15 PM