none
MDT 2013 Update 1 - Inplace upgrade to Windows 10 - SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing the in-place upgrade function of MDT and Windows 10

I created a VM of Windows 8.1x64 enterprise with Office2013 (our standard build) and patched it fully - used it as a user would to ensure it represents a typical machine.

I followed the guide here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt426643%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

to create an in-place upgrade Task Sequence

All seemed to go well until final reboot (that is to say AFTER I have logged on as the user immediately post upgrade when all looks fine) when the device BSOD with the message SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION but no bug check code. Attempted to repair start-up but no change.

We have internal KMS activation

What has gone wrong here or where should I be looking as the 'upgraded' machine will not start.

Richard P

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:26 PM

All replies

• There are some threads on this in the Windows 10 setup forums.  MDT merely executes the setup.exe cmd so if you are seeing Windows bugcheck with the license error we should be looking at windows.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:54 PM
  • After it happens, let boot a few times and try and fail the automatic repair.<o:p></o:p>

Get into a cmd window by using the troublshooting menus on the blue fancy blackground.<o:p></o:p>

In the cmd, type reg load "HKLM\temp" d:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM<o:p></o:p>

(if your windows isn't on D: in the PE environment check some first and select the right letter).<o:p></o:p>

Type regedit<o:p></o:p>

goto HKLM\temp\Setup , verify that there is no SetupType value there.<o:p></o:p>

Right click, New->dword (32-bit) value<o:p></o:p>

Call it "SetupType" without the quotes, value should be default (0).<o:p></o:p>

Reboot and windows will boot correctly.<o:p></o:p>

Please note: I have no official indication that this is a "good" solution so I'd really like someone from microsoft to post or comment and explain what is happening.<o:p></o:p>

After it's confirmed it will hopefully be fixed in the next update, and a possible workaround could be adding a reg /add to the end of the task sequence.<o:p></o:p>

Let us know if this works for others as well, and if someone other than MS has a decent explenation as well that would be awesome. Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Also check the thread/comments at http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/08/25/mdt-2013-update-1-release-notes-and-known-issues.aspx#pi47623=2 where I basicly posted the same thing and there's some more indepth information from username Tony. Hopefully there will also be some offical acknowledgement :)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Have you updated your KMS server with the patch to handle Windows 10 activations?

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2015/08/12/find-and-update-your-kms-service-host-key-to-activate-windows-10/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:14 PM