none
policy problems with screen saver policy

Question

• Hello.

I have read probably 100 posts on Technet and other places about this issue. A client needs for security compliance to have the computers ask for a password after 15 minutes of inactivity. So we are going to set screen saver settings in a GPO. Testing I have an OU with the test user in it. I create a new GPO with "Enable screen saver - Enabled", "Password protect the screen saver - Enabled", "Screen saver timeout - Enabled", "Number of seconds to wait to enable the screen saver - Seconds: 900". The policy is Enabled and Linked. I run GPUPDATE / FORCE at the test user Command Prompt. I know the settings are being applied because the settings set in the Control panel are grayed out and showing what they should be. Also the registry hive is showing the correct settings. "ScreenSaveActive 1", "ScreenSaverIsSecure 1", "ScreenSaveTimeOut 900". However the screen saver never engages. It has to be something I am missing. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Jeff Tucker Engineer

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

What is the DC OS and client OS?

If DC is 2008 r2 and client win7 check these one

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2616727

Also check the screensaver policy applied the OU where the user have.(also check there isn't any vmi filtering,block inheritance,etc.. on this OU)

• Marked as answer by Jeffrey Tucker Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:52 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. The Domain Controller OS is 2008R2 and Client OS is Windows 7 and unfortunately the post you provided is one of the posts I already reviewed. The second part of your reply mentions WMI Filter. There is no filter in my policy. Could this be the problem. Being Windows 7 should I have Namespace set to "root\CIMV2" and Query " select * from Win32_OperatingSystem Where Version>='6.0.6002' " ?

Jeff Tucker Engineer

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:59 PM
  • Hi

If there is a vmi filtering,block inheritance or loopback proccessing has already applied to OU,they could effect.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:17 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I do not see anything you mentioned in place. I am looking further. My test case works though the client's system does not.

Jeff Tucker Engineer

Monday, August 24, 2015 4:11 PM