none
How to ungroup similar apps in the taskbar?

Question

• This is Windows 7.  I have it set to never combine the icons in the taskbar, however, it still combines the like applications.  So all the Excel Windows will be grouped together and all the IE Windows will be grouped together.  I want to move around the Excel windows and not have them group on the taskbar.  How can I do that?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried the following:

1. Open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Taskbar and Start Menu.

2. Under Taskbar appearance, select Never combine.

3. Click OK.

Does it make any difference? If not work, create a new user account to test the issue.

Change how buttons appear on the taskbar
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-how-buttons-appear-on-the-taskbar

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Yes, as stated above we already have it set to Never Combine.  That will make it so each Internet Explorer Window gets it own icon on the taskbar, but all of the internet explorer icons are still grouped together and you can't separate them.  I want to be able to have an internet explorer, then excel, then another internet explorer, then another excel, but it forces me to have all IE's right next to each other and all Excel's right next to each other.  If I try to move one, it moves the entire group.  I want new excel documents that are opened to go to the end of the taskbar like they did on XP, instead of grouping with the other opened excel documents.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Please see this thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d99ae342-2b2e-4498-9531-629450f2741b/action?threadDisplayName=ungroup-similar-program-tabs-in-task-bar

You will need a third party tool such as

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

to ungroup items on the taskbar.

If using 7 Taskbar Tweaker, choose the option "Don't group" as shown below. 

Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:31 AM
  • You need to open different documents or website in different INSTANCES of a program to get what you want.

To do that, let's take Excel as an example. Open one document in ONE Excel program. Open another document in ANOTHER INSTANCE by going to start ->All Programs ...finding your Excel icon. Then, you will see two icons on taskbar separately.

DON'T  open another document in the Excel->File ->Open. In this case, you always see one icon and move them together. 

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:52 PM
  • This is exactly what I was looking for. Somehow, it was right in front of me but didn't see it. Thanks for the tip!
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:41 PM
  • There is also a setting in Exel (all versions) that you might want to check and if necessary change.

Open Exel : Options

Go to : Advanced

scroll down to : Display

Tick or Untick : Show all windows in taskbar (as per your preference)

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:00 AM
  • This helps.......To have both the world...Set it to "Combine when Full". Also, expand your taskbar to have more space so that icons can split in two to three row. In Taskbar appearance, choose "Use small icons" if you prefer small icons.

Raj

Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:42 PM
  • How to do this in Win 8???
    Monday, February 22, 2016 12:28 AM
  • right click the task bar.

uncheck "lock the task bar"

you should be able to move each app individually.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:52 PM