Mail stuck in Submission queue without error Server 2012R2 - Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

Almost every day I have mail stuck in the submission queue on Exchange 2016 - Windows Server 2012R2

The queue fills up and the messages never leave until I restart the "Microsoft Exchange transport" service and then all go almost instantly.

We have 4 Exchange servers in different locations and all were installed at the same time, all fully patched the same and all running on the same hardware. Only 1 server has the issues.

The server hosts approximately 20 users, C drive is 120GB (60 free) D drive 450GB (180 free). 32GB Ram 4 CPU's, brand new ESXi hosts and lightning fast storage.

I can't see any event logs why the messages are sitting in the submission queue.
    What can I check why they get stuck? 

Thank You

Sunday, September 9, 2018 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi!

First of all - check if it BackPressure problem.
    Check Application log for these EventID's.
    Sunday, September 9, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Hi Team,

Almost every day I have mail stuck in the submission queue on Exchange 2016 - Windows Server 2012R2

The queue fills up and the messages never leave until I restart the "Microsoft Exchange transport" service and then all go almost instantly.

We have 4 Exchange servers in different locations and all were installed at the same time, all fully patched the same and all running on the same hardware. Only 1 server has the issues.

The server hosts approximately 20 users, C drive is 120GB (60 free) D drive 450GB (180 free). 32GB Ram 4 CPU's, brand new ESXi hosts and lightning fast storage.

I can't see any event logs why the messages are sitting in the submission queue.
    What can I check why they get stuck? 

Thank You

What CU is installed? Hopefully the latest. 

Also, any 3rd party software installed on the Exch Servers? 

Sunday, September 9, 2018 12:52 PM
  • I checked for event logs 15004, 15006 and 15007 and there is none.

The server also has plenty of free disc space and memory.

Once the mail stops, it stops until the transport service is restarted or the server itself is restarted.

• Edited by Seppwa Monday, September 10, 2018 12:18 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2018 12:18 AM
  • No third party software is running on the server and the build is:15.01.1531.003 which is the latest.
    Monday, September 10, 2018 12:19 AM
  • Ok, in Application log - are there any events with Critical, Error, Warning levels, from Exchange Transport sources (MSExchangeTransport and others) with timestamps when mail flow stucks?
    Monday, September 10, 2018 6:55 AM
  • The only log I get every now and then at night during our backup period is:

The periodic heartbeat to primary server server.domain.local failed. (Event ID 22004 source MSExchangeTransport)

But that is it

Monday, September 10, 2018 7:27 AM
  • The only log I get every now and then at night during our backup period is:

The periodic heartbeat to primary server server.domain.local failed. (Event ID 22004 source MSExchangeTransport)

But that is it

Have you installed the windows updates released on July 10th? If so, install the associated fix KB described in the following article:

Issue with July Updates for Windows on an Exchange Server

Besides, next time when the message is stuck in queue, run "Get-queue | fl" and post the result here.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:26 AM
  • I just checked the effected Server and that has update KB4338824 installed but not the associated Update KB4345424.

I also checked my other 3 Exchange servers and 2 don't have any of the updates and one has KB4338815 installed, not the associated update but did not have an issue so far.

I will install the update tonight and see how it goes. Strangely enough the last 2 days the issue did not come back.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:01 AM
  • I just checked the effected Server and that has update KB4338824 installed but not the associated Update KB4345424.

I also checked my other 3 Exchange servers and 2 don't have any of the updates and one has KB4338815 installed, not the associated update but did not have an issue so far.

I will install the update tonight and see how it goes. Strangely enough the last 2 days the issue did not come back.

Any updates? 

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 14, 2018 3:06 AM
  • After some long troubleshooting and comparing, it turned out that the nightly server replication was the cause for the stuck mail.

We replicate all servers to a DR site and the replication bandwidth was too low, this caused the replication to take hours and for some reason Exchange 2016 could not handle this. I increased the bandwidth significantly and the replication now takes 30 minutes. The issue never came back after.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:40 AM