Unable to Add Categories - outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I am Unable to Add Categories in Outlook 2016.  I had this working on my old computer. Both Computers have Office 365, Outlook 2016 and set e-mail by IMAP.  I Can fully edit, add or change categories on an existing appointment, but it won't show the category on new appointments.  On my old computer it was the same thing, but I could add or change categories on any appointment old or new using Ctrl & F2.  I can do it only by taking an old appointment and editing it to something new and changing the category to what I want, but that is a lot of work.  I setup the new computer exactly the same way as the old one. I don't know why Ctrl & F2 are no longer working for category on this computer.
    Sunday, May 7, 2017 11:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

IMAP protocol doesn't support categories. I guess that you can assign category using Ctrl + F2 on your old computer because you assigned the Ctrl + F2 shortcut key to a category in another non-IMAP account or an Outlook data file (.pst). If you want to assign the Ctrl + F2 shortcut key to a category for your IMAP account, you can try the following steps:

1. Click New Email button to create a new email.

2. Click File > Info > Properties.

3. In the opened Properties dialog, click Categories drop-down button, and click All Categories.

4. Click to select the color category you want to assign a shortcut to and select the shortcut key from the right pane.

5. Click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 7:06 AM
  • Hello,

How is everything going? Please don't hesitate to post back if you have any update.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 19, 2017 2:04 AM
  • For what it's worth, I used the workaround described above to assign shortcut keys to my categories. (Still think it's dumb that Microsoft can't support this for IMAP accounts!) Initially it didn't seem like the shortcut keys were working until I realized I needed to include the Fn key when I was pressing Ctrl plus the function keys. So if my category is mapped to Ctrl+F2, then I actually have to press Ctrl+Fn+F2 on my keyboard to make it work.

Friday, March 30, 2018 4:30 PM
  • Thanks! It help :) 
    Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:10 AM