what does server= means in ldap query RRS feed

• Question

• I am parsing Exchange 2010 Admin Events (they are written to event viewer).  
    I need to verify via LDAP query that the parameters received are valid (this is some sort of validation i guess, its legacy code).  

The ldap query contains subquery: "server=SOME_IPV6_ADDRESS"

I failed to find documentation regarding to **server** attribute, I was looking at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms675090(v=vs.85).aspx

At first, I thought the query fails due to fact that IPv6 is not supported, Now I see that **server** attribute is a mystery. 

the complete ldap query syntax is:  

(legacyexchangedn=*)(msexchrecipienttypedetails=*)(server=SOME_IPV6_I_DUNNO)(|(anr==someuser)(distinguishedname=someuser)(objectguid=someuser)(msexchimmutableid=someuser)(msexchimmutableid=someuser)(proxyAddresses=smtp:someuser)(userprincipalname=someuser)(msexchmailboxguid=someuser))

If I remove the (server=SOME_IPV6_I_DUNNO) part, the query works fine.  
    So what is the server=* used to ? maybe special exchange server attribute ?  

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:13 AM

All replies

• I believe the clause involving server is a mistake. There is no AD attribute with that name, and most Exchange attributes begin with the string "msExch" (or possibly "msDS"). I can find no documentation for any attribute called server.

The base of an LDAP query can refer to a specific DC, so perhaps that was the intent.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Friday, March 2, 2018 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:59 PM
  • I never heard about this attribute and it weird to see it there. Could you please check if this attribute really exists on your schema?

I would also advise to ask them in Exchange forums as it may be an incorrect filter which is currently configured on Exchange Server: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=exchangeserver

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:04 PM
  • Hi,
    Maybe, is it a cutome attribute which could be created by some admins? You could also start checking on this side. And you coluld go to DC to see if this attribute actually exsits on the user’s properties.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:25 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 2, 2018 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Monday, March 5, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for replying, indeed there is no "server" attribute.

but after digging, i found there is "server" class 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683948(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks for help.

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:34 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update, and can i think that the problem is fixed or not? and if  the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers.

Best regards,

Wendy

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:34 AM