Unable to launch Litetouch.vbs (LiteTouch.wsf) from UNC path - A connection to the Deploayment Share Could not be made RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a difficult time figuring out this issue. Here is the back story. The particular deployment share is not used in the traditional sense of deploying OS images. Instead, it is only used in deploying applications. I actually have three shares that do this catered to three different clientele groups; IT, teachers and students.

I have these shares set up so that the Litetouch.vbs is used as a login script and tied to specific AD accounts. When launched, it goes through the normal MDT gathering process and eventually shows a list of applications to select to install. And this has and still is working perfectly for several years with both wired and wireless computers, until recently.

My issue, I'm afraid, is with the new Intel Dual Band 7260 wireless cards/drivers (both N7260 and AC7260. The reason I suspect this is because any other desktop or laptop will launch the VBScript just fine and bring up the list of software like it has always done. However, if I UNC to the share and try to manually run LiteTouch.vbs, I get the "A connection to the deployment share cannot be made. Connection OK. Possible cause: Invalid credentials." That's right. I can UNC to the shares all day long, but when launching the LiteTouch.vbs or LiteTouch.wsf scripts, I always get the above error. So the wireless is working, in a way. Just not the way I need it to. I've tried different versions of drivers all with the same error. I've launched other VBScripts that I've wrote from UNC paths and they run fine.

I am using a Domain Admin account to connect back to the deployment share through MDT. My account is a domain admin account. The share permissions are full control for Everyone and Domain Admins. The folder permissions are Read Only for Everyone and Full Control for Domain Admins. Like I stated, this works fine on any other system.

When I look at the BDD.log file, sometimes I don't see anything, but most of the time I see the line "No physical adapters present. Cannot deploy over wireless." Which, in my case, is not true because I can use any other laptop with older Intel wireless cards, Broadcom, Atheros or whatever and it works perfectly. And, if I hardwire the offending laptops and use Ethernet instead of wireless, I can launch the VBScript and proceed just fine.

I guess my question is, is there a way to force MDT to use any network connection, whether it's wired or wireless to deploy anything. In my case, it would be software.

We use this option as a way for students in our high schools to be able to log in with a special account and install specific software they may need for a class. It is easier to have them do it this way than to try and install different software for different classes on a total of 4000 laptops.

I am currently running Windows Server 2012 R2 with MDT 2013. The laptops are running Windows 7 SP1 x64 Enterprise and Windows 8.1.1 Enterprise.

Any help or ideas anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

~Mike

Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:07 PM

Answers

• Yea, I think you are pushing up to the limits of MDT, where it's primary goal is OS deployment, and MDT never supported OS deployment over wireless, it's just too complex. Yes, you do have a scenario that does not fall into that scenario, but it appears that MDT will always validate against a wired connection, even for custom installs, as currently designed.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, September 29, 2014 10:19 PM
  • I understand that you got MDT to work on other adapters, and I understand that some people dislike the AC series.

However...

I must strongly disagree with your conclusion:

the Intel 7260 cards just will not work for this scenario. Any other wireless card works perfectly fine...

As designed, MDT is coded to block Wireless deployment scenarios. However, the algorithm used to determine if a network adapter is wired vs wireless is highly flawed, it will check the description (caption) of the network adapter and search for the string: "Wireless". And if I recall, it is difficult to determine Wireless vs Wired within a VBSCript.

Set colAdapters = objWMI.ExecQuery("select * from win32_NetworkAdapterconfiguration where IPEnabled = True")
    For Each oAdapter in colAdapters
    	If Instr(UCase(oAdapter.Caption),"WIRELESS") = 0 Then
    		If oAdapter.IPConnectionMetric < sIPConnectionMetric Or sIPConnectionMetric = "" Then
    			sIPConnectionMetric = oAdapter.IPConnectionMetric
    		End If
    	End IF

If Instr(UCase(oAdapter.Caption),"WIRELESS") Then
    		sWirelessConnectionMetric = oAdapter.IPConnectionMetric

End If

Next

If sIPConnectionMetric = "" Then
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "No physical adapters present, cannot deploy over wireless", LogTypeError
    	ValidatenetworkConnectivity = Failure
    	Exit Function
    End IF

On my Lenovo W530, for example, when I disable my Wired connection, my wireless adapter reports:

PS C:\> gwmi -query "select * from win32_NetworkAdapterconfiguration where IPEnabled = true" | select-object Caption

Caption
    -------
    [00000002] Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN

AS you can see, no "Wireless" in the caption string.  A connection to the deployment share works just fine.

Therefore...

Yes, you *may* have gotten the installation to work on the machines that *just happen* to not have "wireless" in the caption, but I would not count on this to be true on all machines in a corporate environment.

-k

• Marked as answer by mtarggart Saturday, October 4, 2014 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:29 AM
  • Keith,

Thank you very much for your help. While I would consider myself on the higher end of MDT knowledge, there are still some things that I just do not know and things I wish I did.

I would like to make a redaction to which you have pointed out. I should not have said that the issue was completely with the 7260 wireless controllers. I did originally think that it must be something with MDT and the way it was checking the network connection, but after searching around in the Scripts folder for several hours and trying to follow when certain scripts were called, I wasn't able to pin point the code that was testing if the wireless card was the active connection or not. I was thinking that it was testing the metric and if it was above or below a certain threshold, then it was denying the connection. In a way, I was right, but not completely. After not drawing an solid conclusions, I thought it had to be the wireless controller since all the other wireless controllers we have in our laptops did not throw the message and worked as expected. And the generic error message of 'Invalid credentials' threw me off a bit as well.

After reading your post about MDT searching for the word "WIRELESS" in the adapter name, I knew it had to be in the ZTIUtility.vbs file. I had followed the progression of the scripting to this script before, but I was several hundred lines further down the script than what you had posted. Once I figured out where I needed to look, I was able to comment out that section. I of course added in why I commented that section out in case I or someone else went back and looked at it again. After that, the 7260 controllers work just as all the other wireless controllers do for this specific deployment share.

I am surprised, however, that there was not a SELECT Case statement used to check for 'Wireless', 'Wi-fi' or several other terms instead of an If statement. It seems to me like that would have been more effective. Of course, if that were the case, I wouldn't have been able to do everything that I have with MDT.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate it and really enjoy reading your posts and articles.

Mike

• Marked as answer by mtarggart Saturday, October 4, 2014 7:17 PM
    Saturday, October 4, 2014 7:17 PM

All replies

• Those AC7260s can go right in the garbage.  We have 5k+ of those cards in my environment and they are constantly dropping and power cycling even with the latest drivers.  I would not rely on those with the drivers in their current state to provide a consistent connection. 
    • Edited by MrBrooks Friday, September 26, 2014 3:40 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Yea, I think you are pushing up to the limits of MDT, where it's primary goal is OS deployment, and MDT never supported OS deployment over wireless, it's just too complex. Yes, you do have a scenario that does not fall into that scenario, but it appears that MDT will always validate against a wired connection, even for custom installs, as currently designed.

Monday, September 29, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Thanks, Keith. I knew I was utilizing MDT for more than what it was intended for and it works great for that purpose. Just for whatever reason, the Intel 7260 cards just will not work for this scenario. Any other wireless card works perfectly fine for deploying applications only. In my opinion, Intel has always been hard to deal with in MDT, especially when it comes to drivers. They can't just make one driver, they have to pack 50 different drivers together, then you get to figure out which one you need. It really muddles up the Out of Box Drivers list.

I'll continue to poke around and see if I can't figure something else out. We've got over 1000 laptops with these cards in them and it's an issue when three other grade levels can install the software needed in class without being hardwired, but one grade level can't.

MrBrooks - Thanks for the heads up on the AC series. So far, we've only gotten seven laptops with the AC cards in them and I hope they don't act the same way as what you described or we'll be finding some Broadcom cards to put into place.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:23 PM
  • I understand that you got MDT to work on other adapters, and I understand that some people dislike the AC series.

However...

I must strongly disagree with your conclusion:

the Intel 7260 cards just will not work for this scenario. Any other wireless card works perfectly fine...

As designed, MDT is coded to block Wireless deployment scenarios. However, the algorithm used to determine if a network adapter is wired vs wireless is highly flawed, it will check the description (caption) of the network adapter and search for the string: "Wireless". And if I recall, it is difficult to determine Wireless vs Wired within a VBSCript.

Set colAdapters = objWMI.ExecQuery("select * from win32_NetworkAdapterconfiguration where IPEnabled = True")
    	If Instr(UCase(oAdapter.Caption),"WIRELESS") = 0 Then
    		If oAdapter.IPConnectionMetric < sIPConnectionMetric Or sIPConnectionMetric = "" Then
    		End If
    	End IF

If Instr(UCase(oAdapter.Caption),"WIRELESS") Then

End If

Next

If sIPConnectionMetric = "" Then
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "No physical adapters present, cannot deploy over wireless", LogTypeError
    	ValidatenetworkConnectivity = Failure
    	Exit Function
    End IF

On my Lenovo W530, for example, when I disable my Wired connection, my wireless adapter reports:

PS C:\> gwmi -query "select * from win32_NetworkAdapterconfiguration where IPEnabled = true" | select-object Caption

Caption
    -------
    [00000002] Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN

AS you can see, no "Wireless" in the caption string.  A connection to the deployment share works just fine.

Therefore...

Yes, you *may* have gotten the installation to work on the machines that *just happen* to not have "wireless" in the caption, but I would not count on this to be true on all machines in a corporate environment.

-k

• Marked as answer by mtarggart Saturday, October 4, 2014 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:29 AM
  • Keith,

You are probably correct. While I've not checked all wireless adapters that are used in our systems to see if they say "Wireless" or not, I do know that on the laptop I was testing on that had a 7260 card in it, I swapped it out for a Broadcom 4322AGN 801.11a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi Adapter and it worked as expected after loading the drivers.

Maybe since I now know what to look for, I can alter it to do what we need since I am not deploying images over wireless, only applications. And this is a separate Deployment Share all by itself.

Thanks,

Mike

Saturday, October 4, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Keith,

Thank you very much for your help. While I would consider myself on the higher end of MDT knowledge, there are still some things that I just do not know and things I wish I did.

I would like to make a redaction to which you have pointed out. I should not have said that the issue was completely with the 7260 wireless controllers. I did originally think that it must be something with MDT and the way it was checking the network connection, but after searching around in the Scripts folder for several hours and trying to follow when certain scripts were called, I wasn't able to pin point the code that was testing if the wireless card was the active connection or not. I was thinking that it was testing the metric and if it was above or below a certain threshold, then it was denying the connection. In a way, I was right, but not completely. After not drawing an solid conclusions, I thought it had to be the wireless controller since all the other wireless controllers we have in our laptops did not throw the message and worked as expected. And the generic error message of 'Invalid credentials' threw me off a bit as well.

After reading your post about MDT searching for the word "WIRELESS" in the adapter name, I knew it had to be in the ZTIUtility.vbs file. I had followed the progression of the scripting to this script before, but I was several hundred lines further down the script than what you had posted. Once I figured out where I needed to look, I was able to comment out that section. I of course added in why I commented that section out in case I or someone else went back and looked at it again. After that, the 7260 controllers work just as all the other wireless controllers do for this specific deployment share.

I am surprised, however, that there was not a SELECT Case statement used to check for 'Wireless', 'Wi-fi' or several other terms instead of an If statement. It seems to me like that would have been more effective. Of course, if that were the case, I wouldn't have been able to do everything that I have with MDT.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate it and really enjoy reading your posts and articles.

Mike

• Marked as answer by mtarggart Saturday, October 4, 2014 7:17 PM
    Saturday, October 4, 2014 7:17 PM
  • I'm with you, I dislike the algorithm used to search for wireless network adapters used in MDT.

If I recall correctly, there was some problem with the abilities of VBScript to programmatically determine Wi-Fi ness within all supported environments in MDT 2012. Now that MDT no longer supports XP, it may be possible to do some better searching, but that would be up to the current MDT team.

I have filed a MDT connect bug: https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext/feedback/details/993051

Sunday, October 5, 2014 11:54 PM
  • I'm with you, I dislike the algorithm used to search for wireless network adapters used in MDT.

If I recall correctly, there was some problem with the abilities of VBScript to programmatically determine Wi-Fi ness within all supported environments in MDT 2012. Now that MDT no longer supports XP, it may be possible to do some better searching, but that would be up to the current MDT team.

I have filed a MDT connect bug: https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext/feedback/details/993051

I was playing around with this today and I came up this:

'Check for wireless connectivity

If Instr(objWMI.ExecQuery("select * from win32_NetworkAdapter where GUID = " & oAdapter.SettingID & " and NetConnectionID = Wi-Fi") = 0 Then
                    End If
                End IF

If Instr(objWMI.ExecQuery("select * from win32_NetworkAdapter where GUID = " & oAdapter.SettingID & " and NetConnectionID = Wi-Fi") Then
                End If
            Next

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:56 AM