Analytics Server Administration Tool not working after 6.3 install RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have installed ProClarity 6.3. on a windows 2003 server machine (32 bit). Sharepoint and PPS are installed on the same machine but there are no sharepoint sites on port 80. The default web site is running.

When I try to open Analytics server adminstration tool using the network admistrator account, it asks for username and password. The password does not work and when I click cancel, the tool window opens but I cannot connect. I see a message 'Server error: An error occurred retrieveing the SDL file: 401'

I can launch http://localhost/PAS without error.

I also tried unintalling ProClarity and reintalling using the account we are using for sharepoint administration. But with this account although I am not asked for user name and password. I get server error in Analytics Server Administration Tool: This account does not have sufficient priviledges to retrieve connection information.

I tried re-registering the Anaytics server, that did not help.

SQL server is on a separate server machine.

Do I need to make any configuration changes to make this work?

Thanks,

Aparna

Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Aparna,

Are you using Basic authentication only for your PAS website?  If not, please set the PAS vd to Basic only, reset IIS and try logging in again.  And what account are you attempting to sign in with?  I suggest trying to sign into the Admin Tool using the NT account that performed the PAS installation.  You can also attempt adding Everyone to the PAS Administrator Role to ensure you have the required access credentials to login.  Your problem could have to do with inadequate rights, and if that's the case the below steps will allow you the proper access:

From the SQL Enterprise Manager, open the Briefing Book database.
    Return all rows for the 'Roles' table.
    Find the 'Administrator' record and copy the 'RoleID' GUID for this record to the clipboard.
    Close the 'Roles' table. Return all rows for the 'Members' table.
    Navigate to the bottom of this table and place the cursor in a new record.
    Paste the GUID from step 3 into the 'MemberID' column.
    In the 'Caption' column, type "Everyone".
    In the 'SID' column, type "S-1-1-0".
    The 'Created By' column should have "ProClarity" entered, and the 'CreatedTime' and 'ModifiedTime' columns can be blank.
    Paste the GUID from step 3 into the 'RoleID' column.
    The 'MemberType' column should contain the test "UNIVERSAL".
    Save the table and close it.

If that works you'll want to give yourself explicit Admin rights and remove Everyone immediately to ensure your PAS content is secure.

Let me know if that helps, if not we'll see what else we can figure out.

Regards,

Amanda

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Aparna,

Are you using Basic authentication only for your PAS website?  If not, please set the PAS vd to Basic only, reset IIS and try logging in again.  And what account are you attempting to sign in with?  I suggest trying to sign into the Admin Tool using the NT account that performed the PAS installation.  You can also attempt adding Everyone to the PAS Administrator Role to ensure you have the required access credentials to login.  Your problem could have to do with inadequate rights, and if that's the case the below steps will allow you the proper access:

From the SQL Enterprise Manager, open the Briefing Book database.
    Return all rows for the 'Roles' table.
    Find the 'Administrator' record and copy the 'RoleID' GUID for this record to the clipboard.
    Close the 'Roles' table. Return all rows for the 'Members' table.
    Navigate to the bottom of this table and place the cursor in a new record.
    Paste the GUID from step 3 into the 'MemberID' column.
    In the 'Caption' column, type "Everyone".
    In the 'SID' column, type "S-1-1-0".
    The 'Created By' column should have "ProClarity" entered, and the 'CreatedTime' and 'ModifiedTime' columns can be blank.
    Paste the GUID from step 3 into the 'RoleID' column.
    The 'MemberType' column should contain the test "UNIVERSAL".
    Save the table and close it.

If that works you'll want to give yourself explicit Admin rights and remove Everyone immediately to ensure your PAS content is secure.

Let me know if that helps, if not we'll see what else we can figure out.

Regards,

Amanda

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:02 PM
  •  

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your reply. I unchecked integrated windows authentication and kept on basic only as you suggeted and that worked. Does this mean that I cannot use integrated windows authentication? We would like to use integrated so that users don't have to login everytime to view dashboards. We will be publishing dashboards on sharepoint through PPS.

I created one library for testing purpose. When I go to http://localhost/PAS, I can see the library under Contents. But when I use http://servername/PAS, the contents area is empty. This occurs only on the server machine. If I use http://servrname/PAS from another machine on the network, I can see the library fine. Would this have anything to do with access rights?

Regards,

Aparna

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Hi Aparna,

I'm glad to hear Basic auth worked for you.  If you're running Analysis Services and PAS on a separate machines you will have to use Basic authentication.  The only way around this is to implement Kerberos within your environment. 

Regarding your second inquiry; NTFS permissions can cause issues such as this, however if the content displays accurately on client machines then I am assuming the server may have Enhanced Security preventing the pages from appearing.  Make sure you've added the URL as a trusted site.  And if you believe NTFS permissions could be interfering then verify your PAS users have adequate rights to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\pas. 

HTH.

Regards,

Amanda

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Hi Amanda,

I just installed PAS on a 32bit Windows 2003 server along with PPS and Reporting Services.  After I installed PAS I cannot access the Administration Tool or the http://localhost/PAS website.  I followed your suggestion to change authetication on PAS vd to basic, but that didn't work.  I also followed the steps to create the "everyone" group directly in the db without success.

Is there anything else that might be happening?

Thanks

Walter

Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Walter,

What error messages are you seeing when you try to use the Admin Tool and the PAS web site?  Did you receive any errors while doing the installation?

-Joey

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:44 PM
  • Joey,

I was just getting my access denied.  I resolved the issue by uninstalling PAS and before reinstalling I created the PAS sql server account manually.  After I did this it worked.  I had uninstalled and reinstalled before without solving the issue, the only difference was in the creation of the PAS sql account before reinstallation. 

Thanks

WH

Sunday, October 12, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Good fix.  This is type of behavior is usually caused by the PAS sql user not being created in the SQL Server instance during the install.  Sometimes this is because the password isn't strong, but at any rate the install will continue and you just won't be able to read/write from/to the database after the software is installed.  This is a good solution to the problem.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Hi,

I have been trying to install PAS 6.3 on Vista(Enterprise) for a while now but have not had any success. From what I have seen on various posts is that the Microsoft Server and PAS should be installed on seperate machines. But in my case, I have Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and PAS 6.3 on same machine (desktop).

I can successfully install PAS and also see the web page just fine (http:\\localhost\PAS) but when I try logging on to the Administrative Tool, I am propmted to re-enter password again and again. So could someone please tell me what or where am I possibly going wrong. 

Also, what I heard from somebody is that the SQL ID password should be strong !!

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:49 PM
  • A common mistep is to try to log into the Admin Tool with the SQL user and password.  The Admin Tool is in fact looking for the Windows user creds that installed PAS, as that is the default administrator for PAS when it is installed.  Please be sure you are entering the Windows user creds for the user that installed PAS.
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:17 PM