If you have windows 7 pro 32bit can you get a free upgrade to 64bit of windows 7 pro 64bit? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the 32bit version with the legit key code etc. but i want to run more ram but my system won't see more. I don't want to get windows 8 because i enjoy windows 7.
    Friday, March 8, 2013 6:09 PM

Answers

• Hello Jonathan_Heymans.

First of all, did you verify that your system can support the installation and execution of a 64 bit version of Windows? Did you verify the availability of 64 bit drivers for all the devices installed in your system?
    According to what you wrote, I presume that you have an OEM License of Windows 7: if that's the case, you have to contact your computer's manufacturer and ask if you can receive a set of discs that will allow you to install the 64 bit version of Windows; if you cannot receive those discs from the PC's manufacturer, you'll have to buy a Retail License of Windows 7, that will provide you with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version.
    Remember that you cannot perform and upgrade: you have to perform a full backup of your data and install the 64 bit version of Windows from scratch.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:31 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hello Jonathan_Heymans.

First of all, did you verify that your system can support the installation and execution of a 64 bit version of Windows? Did you verify the availability of 64 bit drivers for all the devices installed in your system?
    According to what you wrote, I presume that you have an OEM License of Windows 7: if that's the case, you have to contact your computer's manufacturer and ask if you can receive a set of discs that will allow you to install the 64 bit version of Windows; if you cannot receive those discs from the PC's manufacturer, you'll have to buy a Retail License of Windows 7, that will provide you with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version.
    Remember that you cannot perform and upgrade: you have to perform a full backup of your data and install the 64 bit version of Windows from scratch.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:31 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 10:30 PM
  • This is aimed at getting a clean installation of Win7 on an appliance PC that has a lot of undesired "bloatware" installed, but I think that it'll direct you to obtain a (legitimate) Win7 X64 .iso file, from which you can create installation media.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html

As was previously posted, it's impossible to do an upgrade-in-place from  any 32 bit version of Windows to a 64 bit one. You'll have to do a clean install, which will wipe out the previous Windows installation. All programs will have to be re-installed. I hope that you have installation media for all software that you wish to keep.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 2:27 AM