none
How to get table fields present in Microsoft Assessment and Planning toolkit using Microsoft SQL server management studio 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need information on whether can we fetch the fields of tables present in the database of MAP toolkit, instead of relying on the Excel sheet report that the tool generates, using Microsoft SQL server management studio 2012? 

The excel sheet that is getting generated must be getting populated using some underlying database or file system. Need to know that, since I have no idea whether do we have any API's provided to fetch this information present in the database directly via queries.

Thanks in advance! 

Monday, November 18, 2013 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Connect to data source:

(localdb)MapToolkit

cheers

• Proposed as answer by Binori Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:51 AM
  • Hello Binori,

Thanks a lot for the immediate reply!

I have connected MS SQL server mgmt studio to MAP tool, as you have already mentioned!

How do I get access to MAP's db, since I need data from MAP's db in our application db, and our application is purely java based.

For ex: I need data of all Operating Systems, Performance metrics, Server name, Hardware Configurations etc.

Thanks in advance,

Sheetal 

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:30 AM
  • There are few key tables.

Take a look on: [Core_Inventory].[Devices]  and all with prefix Win_Inventory.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:19 PM
  • you missed the "\". The server you need to connect to is (localdb)\maptoolkit

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Does MAP toolkit provide any API for report generation through code?

If not is the case with API's, are there any scripts available that does the same?

Kind Regards, 

Sheetal

Monday, January 6, 2014 12:52 PM
  • As far as we know, MAP doesn't not have any API calls.

More importantly, MAP only inventories devices once.  If you want to re-inventory devices, you need to start with a fresh DB.   And when you do that, the GUID for the device is different.

If you intend to automate your analysis of device inventory collected through MAP, I would highly suggest that you 

1) Configure MAP so that it's running on persistent instance of SQLServer  ( it defaults to a LocalDB Instance)

2) Do not use the MAP GUID as an identifier  ( use at least Serial Number, as  devicenames and OS will change over time (re-imaging) but Serial Number wont!)

3)  Have your Java app connect to the MAPs underlying Data tables; simpler than any conceivable API anyways.

Good Luck!

Steve at AssetLabs

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:13 AM