none
Unable to reinstall windows 7 because of an bitlocker encrypted drive

Question

• I was having windows 7 ultimate 32 bit "activated" on my pc. I encrypted my drive D with bitlocker , one day i was working on my pc suddenly a power failure occurred and after this when i reboot my pc windows 7 cannot start so i decided to reinstall windows 7 but the setup is showing "Windows could not retrieve information about the disk on this computer" so i installed Windows XP it installed successfully but i was unable to access my local drive D so i try to install windows 7 but it again shows the error message "Windows could not retrieve information about the disk on this computer" i remembered my bitlocker password and the i am having important data on drive D so guys please suggest me how can i install windows 7 on my pc so i can decrypt drive D.
    Monday, July 24, 2017 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried manage –bde tools?

You can try to unlock a BitLocker-protected drive by using a recovery password or a recovery key.

The following example illustrates using the -unlock command to unlock drive E with a recovery key file that has been saved to a backup folder on another drive.

manage-bde –unlock E: -recoverykey "F:\Backupkeys\recoverykey.bek"

For more information, please refer to the link:

Manage-bde: unlock

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff829854(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by T. Kujala Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gautam Saxena Friday, July 28, 2017 6:01 AM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried manage –bde tools?

You can try to unlock a BitLocker-protected drive by using a recovery password or a recovery key.

The following example illustrates using the -unlock command to unlock drive E with a recovery key file that has been saved to a backup folder on another drive.

manage-bde –unlock E: -recoverykey "F:\Backupkeys\recoverykey.bek"

For more information, please refer to the link:

Manage-bde: unlock

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff829854(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by T. Kujala Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gautam Saxena Friday, July 28, 2017 6:01 AM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:15 AM
  • Thanx for your reply Tony Tao,

but i want to know if BDE-tools will work on windows xp professional sp3 32-bit?

Friday, July 28, 2017 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

BDE-tools will not work on Windows XP, it applies to Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.

Best Regards,

Tao

Friday, July 28, 2017 6:18 AM