none
disabling log on password prompt please help RRS feed

• Question

• we have windows 10 we set up the pc with only one administrator account. we never needed a log on password. now, my wife created a windows account and now it asks for a password every time I turn on the pc. I can t turn it off . there is no option to automatically log in . please help
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:06 AM

All replies

• Well you will have to decide what account automatically logs on, but that can set with netplwiz. Search start for 'netplwiz' (without quotes) and untick 'Users must enter username and password to use this computer'. Select the account in the list you want auto login for and click ok. Enter password as directed and it will auto login with at account. If the password is update on account then use netplwiz to update the saved password.
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:27 AM
  • we have windows 10 we set up the pc with only one administrator account. we never needed a log on password. now, my wife created a windows account and now it asks for a password every time I turn on the pc. I can t turn it off . there is no option to automatically log in . please help

the5heaths,

Please follow -Mr Happy- advice and apply that on both user accounts.

In case you are not clear of Mr Happy's instructions, have a look at this tutorial for details.........

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3539-sign-user-account-automatically-windows-10-startup.html

Option One is what has been suggested to you by Mr. Happy.
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 4:43 AM

• If you are using a Microsoft Account, I am afraid it is not available to configure autologin.

Are you sure about that statement of yours ?

According to the tutorial I posted in  my last reply, it says this.................

This tutorial will show you how to set Windows 10 to automatically sign in to a selected domain, local, or Microsoft account at startup without the user needing to enter a user name and password.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:17 AM
  • I have just tested on my Win 10 laptop which is setup with Microsoft Account. All my laptops are setup with Microsoft Account, no local account.

I can confirm that the netplwiz or control userpasswords2  method works.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hi david hk129,

I would make an apology. I have tested this on Windows 10 previous versions and it didn`t work. I tested this on Windows 10.1607 version. This behavior seems to have been changed on 1607 version. It worked for Microsoft Account, too.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:30 AM