Adding Windows Deployment Services Role RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am trying to install the WDS Server Role on Server 2008 R2, as soon as I click install the server stops responding to network request and I am not able to bring up task manager or anything.  I have tried multiple times make sure the server was update with updates.  The server currently acts as a fileserver as well as a Backup server using Backup exec.  I have not been able to locate any log files to see what is happening.  I have also tried via command line with the same results.  

Anny Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please let me know whether you could enter into the Windows Server 2008 R2? Since you are using Backup exec, can you restore your system via the backup file?

If you could roll back your Windows Server 2008 R2 to a normal status, please add the Windows Deployment Services according to the guide below:

Title: Windows Deployment Services Getting Started Guide

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771670(WS.10).aspx

There are several prerequisites need to be done. Then let me know whether the WDS and OS work properly or not. Since the server had played the file server and backup server role, I think you could consider changing another server to make it as WDS server.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Monday, January 23, 2012 10:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:56 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please let me know whether you could enter into the Windows Server 2008 R2? Since you are using Backup exec, can you restore your system via the backup file?

If you could roll back your Windows Server 2008 R2 to a normal status, please add the Windows Deployment Services according to the guide below:

Title: Windows Deployment Services Getting Started Guide

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771670(WS.10).aspx

There are several prerequisites need to be done. Then let me know whether the WDS and OS work properly or not. Since the server had played the file server and backup server role, I think you could consider changing another server to make it as WDS server.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Monday, January 23, 2012 10:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:56 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:56 AM
  • What do you mean by normal status.  I have followed the guide, multiple times with the same result where that machine stops responding to network request and needs to be hard cycled to get it operating normal again.  If I try and install in a different server I get the same result.  Could it be related to IPV6 being enabled but not configured?  Are there any logs that I can look through to see what is happening
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

If you have followed the guide, you will find an known issue statement below:

Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is not supported for Windows Deployment Services in Windows Server 2008. Windows Server 2008 R2 does not support IPv6 for network booting, but does support IPv6 for deploying images.

So I don't think IPv6 is related towards your issue. Yes, you are right. There are some logs we could look into to get further analysis about the WDS, there is an article for your reference:

Title: How to enable logging in Windows Deployment Services (WDS) in Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008  and in Windows Server 2008 R2

URL: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936625

I believe you will find something useful to verify the issue.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:04 AM
  • So I had a look through that kb article and there is nothing in there with regards to the install of WDS.  I am at a loss right now and not sure what else I can try, I have tried adding the role from a RDP Connection and right from the console with the same outcome.  I have tried to watch task manager and it freezes right away.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 2:58 PM