none
Security Assessment Report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, im a very new beginner to this MAP. Hence would like to seek help in this area(:

Im currently doing a research on this software, and i have chosen the Security Assessment Wizard. Half way through the wizard i've gt some questions:

Select Methods To Identify Computers.

For this i have selected- Use the windows networking protocols
                                           Import computer names from a file
                                           Scan an IP address range
                                           Manually enter computer names and credentials 

Would like to know, the Scan an IP address range, what does it means? And how do i find the IP range of addresses? I tried input the range but however, it showed this error message:"The format of the IP address entered does not conform to the IPv4 standard".

Is the IP addresses same as the range of what i've imported of those computer names?

Hoped to receive a response, thanks!

Monday, June 8, 2009 6:12 AM

All replies

• You don't have to select more than one discovery method unless you need to.  If all the machines that you want to inventory are in the file that you imported, you can simply select "import computer names from a file" and deselct all the other options.

If you want to use IP address range scan, then you'll need to provide ranges used on your LAN, for example 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255

Monday, June 8, 2009 5:09 PM
  • You don't have to select more than one discovery method unless you need to.  If all the machines that you want to inventory are in the file that you imported, you can simply select "import computer names from a file" and deselct all the other options.

If you want to use IP address range scan, then you'll need to provide ranges used on your LAN, for example 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255

Thanks for your reply!

Another qns:

Enter WMI Credentials. What is this? Is this the same as what i login to my windows?  
    • Proposed as answer by NevadaSmith Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:35 AM

• I have been conducting compliance activities before my hair turned grey and the one element to remember is the project is only as labor-intensive as you make it. The links below contain Compliance Management Tools to assure you are deploying your initial due diligence constructively.

What is your role in the facility. If you provide leadership and have some direct reports do not hesitate to "delegate" some of the tasks to those individuals. Myself on the other hand work HIPAA Privacy/Security that finally grew some teeth with HITEC / Stimulus Bill that prescribes strict adherence and punitive consequences for the lack of oversight of such a program. I surveyed six HCO and three had about 10 percent of the required process documented and deployed. There was no business functionality tailored to the documents and therefore had to be revised. Remember if it is not documented it is not done. Best of luck and please shout if you need consultation.  

Get all the details about the toolkit series by visiting
    www.microsoft.com/securitycompliance.

·         Download the Security Compliance Management Toolkit series.

NevadaSmith
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:18 PM
  • This link will take you to an excellent site where you can download white papers and find just about anything IT that is current.

http://www.webbuyersguide.com/

Good Luck
    NevadaSmith
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Enter WMI Credentials. What is this? Is this the same as what i login to my windows?  
    These need to be local administrator credendtials for the target machines you're trying to inventory.

There's a "Getting Started Guide" document installed with MAP, look in the same Program Group where you found the MAP executable.   There's a section in there that thoroughly describes what these credentials need to be.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:42 PM