how to increase scroll speed or get multiple columns for a taskbar program list RRS feed

• Question

• i can have a hundred ie windows and the taskbar ie button list is too slow to scroll through. is there a way of increasing the scroll speed or having multiple columns?

Monday, January 4, 2010 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is one way to speed up the mouse scrolling speed:

Open "Mouse Properties", "Wheel" tab-> set a number >3 before "The following number of lines at a time" or enable the "One screen at a time" per your request.

Also you can have multiple columns:

Right click Taskbar and uncheck the "Lock the taskbar", drag the top edge of the taskbar until all the ie windows were displayed.

Meanwhile, a hundred ie windows will also cause the low performance and easily crash issue and it is not suggested.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, January 8, 2010 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is one way to speed up the mouse scrolling speed:

Open "Mouse Properties", "Wheel" tab-> set a number >3 before "The following number of lines at a time" or enable the "One screen at a time" per your request.

Also you can have multiple columns:

Right click Taskbar and uncheck the "Lock the taskbar", drag the top edge of the taskbar until all the ie windows were displayed.

Meanwhile, a hundred ie windows will also cause the low performance and easily crash issue and it is not suggested.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, January 8, 2010 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:12 AM
  • i was wanting the actual ie windows list to become multiple columns ( in the high performance mode)

it shows when you left click on the ie button

i'm really impressed with the memory management of the 64 bit windows 7 with 8 gig of ram, never crashes, just as fast regardless of loading, micosoft have done a good job on it
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:59 AM
  • Right click on the black of taskbar, click propertise, open "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties".

Taskbar appearance: check "Use small icons"
    Taskbar buttons: Never combine

Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:10 AM
  • none of the replies have adressed the problem, if anyone from microsoft is reading this, you need a better way of presenting long program scroll lists from left clciking taskbar buttons, especially internet explorer in the high performance mode

scrolling through 100 ie pages in a list is too painful

aero is just a marketing gimmick imo, you need to pay attention to opaque menus etc as this is what works best in the real world

operating systems should minimise graphics use, NOT maximise it and they work better that way too!
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:01 AM
  • The task bar used to be very effective with its multi-column behavior. Microsoft dropped that feature, and broke something that used to work.

It seems like their programmers don't have anything useful to do, so they diddle around with graphics and try to pretend they have a new product.

This is the same pathology that caused them to add a "ribbon" to MS-Word and make the program unusable.

Monday, March 22, 2010 4:31 PM
  • none of the replies have adressed the problem, if anyone from microsoft is reading this, you need a better way of presenting long program scroll lists from left clciking taskbar buttons, especially internet explorer in the high performance mode

aero is just a marketing gimmick imo, you need to pay attention to opaque menus etc as this is what works best in the real world

operating systems should minimise graphics use, NOT maximise it and they work better that way too!

I have to agree.  At work I have now switched to using a customized basic theme (no aero).  The new "superbar" is great if you have a few programs open, each with a few tabs/windows, but the design sucks for applications like browsers where dozens of tabs/windows open.  For browsing, I now primarily use Firefox and the tab tree style add-on.  The combination (plus a few other add-ons) blows IE8 out of the water as far as usability goes when you have dozens of tabs open and want to organize them in a threaded fashion.  Unfortunately, the Firefox IE tab add-on does not always work as desired/expected, so there are still times when I need to use IE8 standalone.

I too am frustrated by the vertical scroll speed of the superbar's list mode (as apposed to icon mode).  I have not found a solution other than to switch to FF for most browsing and XYplorer as a replacement for file management (where I may have many folders simultaneously open).  Windows 7 plus IE8 has done wonders to encourage users to switch to Firefox and other alternatives!

One tip I would share is to use Alt-Tab to bring up the task manager.  It will list the currently open windows.  If you release Tab but keep holding down Alt then you can mouse over your windows in Aero to preview the contents and identify which IE window contains the tab you desire.  Then click the icon of the desired window to switch to it, release Alt, and click the desired tab to switch to it.  If the mouse over does not work, press Window-Tab then Alt-Tab.  If the preview does not work, verify aero preview is enabled.  Not the best workaround, but it is faster than scrolling list mode.  :)

Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:00 AM

I have to agree.  At work I have now switched to using a customized basic theme (no aero).  The new "superbar" is great if you have a few programs open, each with a few tabs/windows, but the design sucks for applications like browsers where dozens of tabs/windows open.  For browsing, I now primarily use Firefox and the tab tree style add-on.  The combination (plus a few other add-ons) blows IE8 out of the water as far as usability goes when you have dozens of tabs open and want to organize them in a threaded fashion.  Unfortunately, the Firefox IE tab add-on does not always work as desired/expected, so there are still times when I need to use IE8 standalone.

I too am frustrated by the vertical scroll speed of the superbar's list mode (as apposed to icon mode).  I have not found a solution other than to switch to FF for most browsing and XYplorer as a replacement for file management (where I may have many folders simultaneously open).  Windows 7 plus IE8 has done wonders to encourage users to switch to Firefox and other alternatives!

One tip I would share is to use Alt-Tab to bring up the task manager.  It will list the currently open windows.  If you release Tab but keep holding down Alt then you can mouse over your windows in Aero to preview the contents and identify which IE window contains the tab you desire.  Then click the icon of the desired window to switch to it, release Alt, and click the desired tab to switch to it.  If the mouse over does not work, press Window-Tab then Alt-Tab.  If the preview does not work, verify aero preview is enabled.  Not the best workaround, but it is faster than scrolling list mode.  :)

Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Agreed, about the best you can do is use Windows Key - Tab to Aero Peek or ALT-TAB  to Window Manger scroll through the windows looking for the Browser window you want, when you have hundreds of browser windows open all combined on the taskbar.  

On a 1600x1200 monitor with my taskbar vertical on the left side of the screen (more logical) instead of on bottom edge default, the list is about 32 text lines long ow Windows names, with up and down continuation arrows at top and bottom.  Holding mouse over either arrow is painfully slow, but if you're a gamer you can rapid fire click the arrow to scroll a bit faster.  Too bad the scroll wheel or PGUP/PGDN key or wiggling the mouse on the arrow back and forth do nothing to move the list

LOL at the guy who said having a hundred IE windows open is not a good idea.  I regularly have 100 windows of Chrome or Firefox open, and my 4gb of RAM machine can probably go to 200-300.

One less than elegant idea to try, is spread your windows over multiple different webbrowsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE), which is less than ideal for memory management reasons, *OR*, setup multiple user accounts, and run a copy of your favorite browser in each, and Windows -  L fast user switch between accounts.   

I use multiple user accounts not as user accounts, but name them after all the different projects I am working on.  Therefore, for each project, I can have its own dedicated desktop for storing files I'm working on for that project, and its own webbrowser with windows open for it, as well as sticky notes and wordprocessor windows open only for that project.   Set up seperate user accounts for the different projects or different distinct activities you do, it spreads things out a bit.   

Saturday, February 12, 2011 4:34 AM