none
SCCM 2012 Application Source List Management RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Our SCCM environment has been upgraded from 2007 to 2012.

One problem i see is that, the source list from clients are still pointing to the old SCCM packages source.

The collections are configured in a way that, it is query based, and self reducing, if the application is installed.

So basically if you already had the app installed, it will not show up in the collection.

The application is configured correctly with the software GUID listed in the Deployment Type (programs).

Now the question is, to get the correct Source List configured on the client, i assume that i need to have the client show up in the collection, and go through the Windows Installer Source List Update Cycle. Is this correct?

Or will source list fix itself on the client, even if the client is not in the collection of the app in question?

Thanks, DM.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:32 AM

All replies

• If the client is an healthy client and it's not part of the collection, this mean, you will need to troubleshoot the correct Source List or collections.

Are you using a WQL based on add remove programs or asset intelligence to detect if an application is installed? 

Your clients SCCM 2007 has been successful migrate to 2012?

Nick Pilon | Blog : System Center Dudes

Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Nick.

Let me explain further in details...

Yes, the client has been successfully upgraded to 2012, so no issues there.

We are using WQL based collection query that checks AD group and hardware inventory (add/remove program) data to detect if a client needs to show up in the collection or not.

The issue i suspect is that, because the existing machine already has the particular app installed, and when the same application/collection was setup in SCCM 2012 environment, the client never ended up in the collection (although its in the AD group to show up in the collection).

So what i am trying to confirm with you guys is that, whether the client needs to be in the collection all the time, or at least show up in the collection for awhile, to update the Source List on the client, or would the source list be updated automatically without having to be in the collection at all?

I have been doing some test on this, and my consensus at this stage is that, the client needs to be in the collection with the deployment set for the app, in order to get the updated Source List.

If anyone can confirm that this is how Source List management works in SCCM 2012?

Thanks,

DM

Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:33 PM
  • Source list? Are you talking about the registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\ etc?
    This has nothing to do with collections at all. You have to import the msi product codes in the deployment type so that it will get updated. Examine srcupdatemgr.log on a client.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, November 6, 2015 12:14 AM
  • Hi Torsten

Yes.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products.

The MSI GUID is setup correctly in the deployment type.

However, in order for the source list for the app to be updated on the client, does the client need to be in the collection, where the app has its deployment set to?

And one more thing... even if i have the correct Source List show up, still failing to access that DP. Looks like access issue. Is the only way around this is to enable the check box in DP properties "Allow clients to connect anonymously"?

Thanks,

DM

• Edited by D_M_K Friday, November 6, 2015 1:57 AM Additional Info
    Friday, November 6, 2015 1:13 AM