Windows 2012 R2 KMS Host - Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We’d like to be able to activate our client ‘Office Professional Plus 2016’ installations using the ‘Key Management Service’.

We have a fresh ‘Windows 2012 Standard R2’ server available to become a KMS host.  What application/service do I need to install on this server so that it can process and manage KMS activations?  I’d prefer a GUI if possible.

Kind regards,

Glen
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This activate using Key Management Service article explains in detail about installing a KMS host key on a computer running Windows Server allows you to activate computers running Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Sever 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, and Windows Vista, you can refer to it with a graphical user interface.

Hope the above information can help you.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. 

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Monday, September 10, 2018 1:28 AM
    • Proposed as answer by hurry yang Friday, September 14, 2018 9:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by GlenV Monday, October 22, 2018 1:18 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2018 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This activate using Key Management Service article explains in detail about installing a KMS host key on a computer running Windows Server allows you to activate computers running Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Sever 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, and Windows Vista, you can refer to it with a graphical user interface.

Hope the above information can help you.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. 

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Monday, September 10, 2018 1:28 AM
    • Proposed as answer by hurry yang Friday, September 14, 2018 9:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by GlenV Monday, October 22, 2018 1:18 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2018 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Best regards,

Hurry

Monday, September 10, 2018 1:29 AM
  • Hi,
    How things are going there on this issue?
    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hurry

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:27 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the very useful article link that I'll be following to set up the KMS role.

We currently have a ‘Windows 2003 Standard’ server acting as a KMS host to activate ‘Office 2010’ and ‘Windows 7’.  I’d like to migrate the KMS service from this 2003 host to the new ‘Windows 2012 Standard R2’ server so that the 2003 server can be decommissioned.

I’d like the migration to be smooth and seamless.  Can a 2003 KMS host and a 2012R2 KMS host be live and processing activations at the same time in a Windows Domain network?

Can a 2012R2 KMS host activate ‘Office 2010’?

Kind regards,

Glen

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

The following link details how to migrate the KMS from one server to another, you can refer to it:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/cd4177bd-8df5-4a66-afdc-c760398b7e7f/migrating-kms-server-from-one-computer-to-another

The best practice is to have on KMS host in a single domain and to upgrade your server. However, it is still OK to have multiple KMS hosts at a single domain.

About a Windows Server 2012 R2 KMS host to activate ' Office 2010 ', the Windows Server 2012 R2 KMS host key is hierarchical,once you setup the KMS host on Windows Server 2012 R2, you then would need to install the Office 2010 KMS keys.

Best regards,

Hurry

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:43 PM
  • Hello,

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2016/10/19/windows-server-2016-volume-activation-tips/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2016/10/24/kms-activation-for-windows-server-2016/

I found the two articles above which suggest KB3172614 (July 2016 Update Rollup) needs to be installed on a 2012R2 KMS host in order to activate ‘Windows Server 2016’.

I’ve run several cycles of ‘Windows Update’ to install all available important updates on the 2012R2 server up to, and including, the ‘2018-10 Security Monthly Quality Rollup’.  However, there is no mention of KB3172614 as being installed.

Do I still need to manually download and apply KB3172614 given that it’s now two years old or has it been superseded by a different update?

Kind regards,

Glen
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

I don't think it's necessary. The error mentioned in the article indicates that the update does not apply to your computer and you go to fix it so you need to download, but at present your machine is intact, and there is no error and no mention, so I think it is unnecessary.

Best regards,

Hurry

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

As the articles suggested, I've installed KB3172614 (July 2016 Update Rollup) on the 2012R2 server that will become our KMS host so that there are no problems activating ‘Windows Server 2016’.

Kind regards,

Glen

Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I am glad to hear that your problem has been successfully solved, wish you a happy life!

Best regards,

Hurry

Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:16 PM