none
User GPO setting HKey CU not running at login

Question

• I have setup a user based GPO to modify some registry keys sitting in HKey Current user. The settings are related to 3rd party software to set a Database location

When I login with the GPO applied I can see the the GPO is applied by doing a gpresult /r. If I go to the registry however the changes are not made.

If I do a gpupdate /force then go into my registry I can see the changes are made.

I'm pushing the GPO via the Preferences->Windows Setting in GPMC

I logged onto a server that has the GPO applied but, the software is not installed.

That said I think the software might be overwriting the GPO on login or interfering in some way with my GPO. I am not sure how to proof this however.

Can anyone think of another approach to what I am trying to do?

thanks!

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 3:54 PM

Answers

• >If I do a gpupdate /force then go into my registry I can see the changes are made.

The refresh of Group Policy will return the preference settings back to the value configured in the Group Policy Preference item.

>That said I think the software might be overwriting the GPO on login or interfering in some way with my GPO. I am not sure how to proof this however.

If possible, try to disable/uninstall the specific third party software from the computer temporarily for testing purpose, then reboot the client machine, see if the specific registry key exists.

If yes, it's the third party software that is overwriting the registry key while logging. In this case, I'm afraid we might not be able to stop this. Or you can contact the support of the third party software for assistance.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:40 AM