5.1 Sequencer, no more Q: drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I've only sequenced a few apps under 4.6 SP3, but it was always to "Q:\Application_version" or "Q:\Program Files\Application_version".

Now I see that the 5.1 Sequencer suggests setting the path to %ProgramFiles%, and that the Sequencer install didn't create a Q: drive at all.

Just confirming that this is correct with 5.1 and to get any additional info you care to share. Are the virtualized directory & files still hidden or are they now browsable?

On a 64-bit architecture, is it best to install 32-bit apps to Program Files or Program Files (x86)?

Is it best to install to %ProgramFiles%\Application_version, or %ProgramFiles%\Vendor\Application_version?

FYI, I am sequencing on Win10 x64 with Office 2016 x86 and current Microsoft updates.

• Edited by JackalAR Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:00 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:24 PM

Answers

• The changes between 4.6 and 5.0 or 5.1 are huge, MSFT re-wrote a lot of the App-V functionality starting with 5.0.

- comparison on the changes between 4.6 and 5.0

Just to quickly confirm, it is ok that you don't have the Q drive anymore.

The virtualized resources are not stored directly in Program Files or any other folder, the App-V client has dedicated locations. 

You should install apps to x86, just as you do with an MSI.

It does not mather if you use a vendor folder or not, all apps are virtualized anyway. If you want to have multiple apps talk to each other you can use connection groups (which are way more powerful starting with 5.0 SP3 if I remember correctly)

(Please don't forget to vote useful answers.)

• Marked as answer by JackalAR Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:02 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:49 PM

All replies

• The changes between 4.6 and 5.0 or 5.1 are huge, MSFT re-wrote a lot of the App-V functionality starting with 5.0.

- comparison on the changes between 4.6 and 5.0

Just to quickly confirm, it is ok that you don't have the Q drive anymore.

The virtualized resources are not stored directly in Program Files or any other folder, the App-V client has dedicated locations. 

You should install apps to x86, just as you do with an MSI.

It does not mather if you use a vendor folder or not, all apps are virtualized anyway. If you want to have multiple apps talk to each other you can use connection groups (which are way more powerful starting with 5.0 SP3 if I remember correctly)

(Please don't forget to vote useful answers.)

• Marked as answer by JackalAR Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:02 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:49 PM
  • Thanks for the info! I will dig into the provided links.

Surprisingly, out of the 103 App-Vs sequenced in AdminStudio with sequencer 4.5 and 4.6, in the last 5+ years we haven't had many issues with apps launching natively installed supporting apps such as Adobe Reader, for instance. I hope 5.1 is at least as good with this so we don't also have to setup connection groups or publish an App-V'd version of these supporting apps / prereqs. This is mostly really old school curriculum software designed for XP.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:08 PM
  • Virtual apps will still "see" the ones natively installed, the connection groups are used when you need virtual apps to "see" each other, for example, you have Office installed as an app-v package and also an Office add-in, virtualized too. In this case you need to have the add-in and office in a connection group, otherwise it will not be loaded.
    Friday, March 4, 2016 5:24 AM