Unable to deploy solution RRS feed

• Question

• I've successfully deployed solutions before.  Specifically, a handful of the "fantasitc 40" solutions.  However, when I tried to deploy any additional solutions, I found an error in the log that the "solution deployment" job was locked.  I had to remove it with:

> stsadm -o removesolutiondeploymentlock  ...

That fixed that problem, but when I try to deploy a solution I find these errors in the log:

Solution Deployment : Error occurred for solution projecttrackingworkspace.wsp - Error: The creation of this directory failed: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\pws. 

Solution Deployment : Error Global Deployment failed for projecttrackingworkspace.wsp. Exception - Error: The creation of this directory failed: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\pws.  This operation uses the SharePoint Administration service (spadmin), which could not be contacted.  If the service is stopped or disabled, start it and try the operation again. 

Solution Deployment : Error : DeploySolutionPackage for projecttrackingworkspace.wsp for Target global. Exception message - Error: The creation of this directory failed: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\pws.  This operation uses the SharePoint Administration service (spadmin), which could not be contacted.  If the service is stopped or disabled, start it and try the operation again. 

However, all the "Windows SharePoint *" services are running just fine.  I can't think of anything that has changed configuration-wise that could cause this error. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could have changed or what might be going wrong to cause this error?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:31 AM

Answers

• Something must have gotten "stuck" when SharePoint never released the solution deployment lock.  What seemed to unstick it was rebooting the server.  Problem solved, although not the fix I'd hoped for.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:35 AM