Vista SP1 desktop issue RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day:

I have Vista SP1 with ATI X1300 Video board.

All drivers are up to date as are windows updates.

There are two displays #1 is 1920x1200x32bit and #2 is 1600x1200x32bit.

After a reboot everything is fine for a while, but after connecting remotely using RDP at 1920x1200x32bit or slightly lower resolution there will begin some symptoms.  I connect via RDP about 2 or 3 times a day.

First the local locked desktop will show at a low resolution in a small area in the upper right of monitor #1.

Then the local locked desktop screen will be black, and I will have to blindly type the password.

Eventually the primary monitor will go to 800x600 resolution on its own, and will not go back to 1920x1200.

At this point the system may refuse high resolution RDP connections, but if I lower the resolution it will connect.

Once I reboot things will be OK for a few days, and the cycle begins again.

I have seen other posts indicating that users with NVIDIA graphics cards have seen a similar issue.

Any thoughts?  Hotfix?

Thanks

Lynn

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Lynn

If there is a fix for this issue, it will come from ATI.

The usual scenario is that Microsoft will contact ATI or ATI will contact Microsoft and they will work together to fix the issue. Microsoft doesn't develop drivers and this will likely require a driver update. This could distributed from Windows Update or directly from ATI.

I'll do some more research on this and, in the meantime, you might want to check on the ATI forums to see if anyone else is reporting the issue.

AMD Forums - Catalyst - ATI graphics drivers:
    http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=279&entercat=y

Let me know if you find any information.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:32 AM