Registry Key in my Right-Click options? RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever i right-click on any file on my pc, i get all the regular options, but i also get a really long Registry Key that makes the little menu, actually really large!

How do i get rid of it, and how did it get there in the first place?

Thanks

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that the file association has been corrupted, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to reset it.

Change the file association

================

1. Click the Start Button and click Default Programs.

2. Click "Associate a file type or protocol with program."

3. Click the XXX file extension and verify whether it is correctly set to open with the program which you want to use.

4. If the configuration is not set correctly, please highlight this XXX file extension and click the Change program button.

5. Check whether the program is listed in the Recommended Program or Other Programs. If so, please choose the program and click OK.

6. If not, please click the Browse button to locate the correct program.

7. Click OK.

If the issue persists, please go to reset icon cache and create a new user account to test the issue.

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage user accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account and test the issue in the new account.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing? You may check how to use SkyDrive for more information.

Screenshot of the symptom

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

Regards,

Sabrina

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:19 AM

All replies

• Read this article by MVP Ramesh Srinivasan to see if the problem is caused by a bad shell extension handler:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok thanks for that. Havent actually looked yet because, oddly, its gone? Strange!

My only EXTREMELY annoying problem now, is that loads of files have lost their icon and have just got a blank white page for their icon? Some i was able to go into properties and change it back, but loads of other dont have that option. Things like iTunes, Skype, IE8 and i have some free MSDN Software that i have downloaded (the downloaders for the software) and they're all blank white pages too. The programs themsleves run fine as ever, but about 30% of the files and executables on my system have no icon and have all got this blank white page. Its not just third party programs either, things like BitComet were changed but i could change them back. But Word '07, iTunes, Ineternet Explorer 6 (Regular and my 64-bit version) im studying for my next MCP (70-290) and im using the Microsoft Readiness Review Suit and that has no icon, Skype, all my Nero programs, plus many more have no icon. Just this white page. Thinking of restoring.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the file association has been corrupted, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to reset it.

Change the file association

================

1. Click the Start Button and click Default Programs.

2. Click "Associate a file type or protocol with program."

3. Click the XXX file extension and verify whether it is correctly set to open with the program which you want to use.

4. If the configuration is not set correctly, please highlight this XXX file extension and click the Change program button.

5. Check whether the program is listed in the Recommended Program or Other Programs. If so, please choose the program and click OK.

6. If not, please click the Browse button to locate the correct program.

7. Click OK.

If the issue persists, please go to reset icon cache and create a new user account to test the issue.

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage user accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account and test the issue in the new account.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing? You may check how to use SkyDrive for more information.

Screenshot of the symptom

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

Regards,

Sabrina

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:19 AM