RDS VDI Problem Connecting to Pooled Virtual Desktops RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup a lab environment as proof of concept for a VDI.

I'm using RDS + Hyper-V. I have several lab servers containing the various roles (all Windows 2008 R2 + SP1). In particular I have 1 x session host in redirection mode (redirecting to single broker), 1 x RD connection broker and 1 x RD Web access server.

I have created both personal and pooled desktops (all Windows 7) and can connect successfully to all machines via the web access server. However, I can only connect to the personal assigned machines via RDP (7.1) and cannot connect to any pooled machines via RDP.

I'm trying to connect directly to the redirector via RDP client with a user who is not assigned a personal desktop in the hope that I will receive a machine from the existing pool but this doesn't work.

I receive the following error from the RDP client:

"Remote desktop connection could not find the destination computer. This can happen if the computer name is incorrect or the computer is not yet registered with Session Broker. Try connecting again, or contact your network administrator."

and the following error is logged on the broker server for every failed attempt accessing a pooled desktop:

Event ID: 1004
    Source: RemoteApp and Desktop Connection Management

"Unable to resolve the Remote Desktop for user DOMAIN\USERNAME. No Remote Desktops are assigned to the user in Active Directory. Assign the user a Remote Desktop in Active Directory.

Error Code: 0x0"

This seems like a simple solution? but I've already exhausted all ideas.

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:57 PM

Answers

• I found a solution to this problem which allows dynamic assignment of pooled VMs via RDP (Thanks to bioalpha).

You need to create the following reg key on the redirector:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\ClusterSettings

Create a new String called" DefaultTsvUrl" and enter the value "tsv://vmresource.1.<VDI pool ID>" where <VDI pool ID> is the name of your VM pool (not the dislpay name).

Now connecting to the redirector via RDP allows connection to a pooled VM. The only limitation is that with this setting, the redirector is hard coded to always use the same, single pool.

You may need to connect to the redirector via its IP rather than hostname to prevent certificate/name conflicts.

• Marked as answer by akuma22 Monday, August 6, 2012 8:18 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 8:18 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

I am experiencing the exact same problem with Windows 7 RDP connection to a Windows 2008 R2 server.

If try connecting with a v6 RDP client in Windows XP it connects fine, although the same server side error 1004 0x0 is still triggered.

I'll let you know if I have a breakthrough.

Friday, May 25, 2012 4:29 PM
  • I found a solution to this problem which allows dynamic assignment of pooled VMs via RDP (Thanks to bioalpha).

You need to create the following reg key on the redirector:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\ClusterSettings

Create a new String called" DefaultTsvUrl" and enter the value "tsv://vmresource.1.<VDI pool ID>" where <VDI pool ID> is the name of your VM pool (not the dislpay name).

Now connecting to the redirector via RDP allows connection to a pooled VM. The only limitation is that with this setting, the redirector is hard coded to always use the same, single pool.

You may need to connect to the redirector via its IP rather than hostname to prevent certificate/name conflicts.

• Marked as answer by akuma22 Monday, August 6, 2012 8:18 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 8:18 AM