The end of Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• In 2 days Window Xp will be no more. I was told that I don't actually have to get Windows 8, but can get Windows 7. I just want to know is there a free download for Window 7 or Do I actually have to buy it? I've done my Windows Upgrade Assistant Report for 7 & 8. If possible can you please send me a link for Windows 7 being that there are several. Wasn't quite sure if Windows 7 Home premium is the correct one. Thank You In Advance.
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:16 PM

Answers

• The only way to legally upgrade to Win7 or Win8 is to purchase a License.

I think when you were told you "don't actually have to get Windows8, but can get Windows 7" they mean, if your hardware doesn't support Windows 8, Windows 7 might be a better option.

If you are a home user, Win7 Home Premium would probably be your best bet.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Windows-7-Home-Premium/productID.246627500

Hope that helps.

Monday, April 7, 2014 1:51 AM

All replies

• The only way to legally upgrade to Win7 or Win8 is to purchase a License.

I think when you were told you "don't actually have to get Windows8, but can get Windows 7" they mean, if your hardware doesn't support Windows 8, Windows 7 might be a better option.

If you are a home user, Win7 Home Premium would probably be your best bet.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Windows-7-Home-Premium/productID.246627500

Hope that helps.

Monday, April 7, 2014 1:51 AM
  • In 2 days Window Xp will be no more. I was told that I don't actually have to get Windows 8, but can get Windows 7. I just want to know is there a free download for Window 7 or Do I actually have to buy it? I've done my Windows Upgrade Assistant Report for 7 & 8. If possible can you please send me a link for Windows 7 being that there are several. Wasn't quite sure if Windows 7 Home premium is the correct one. Thank You In Advance.
    Also please be aware that Windows XP will NOT STOP WORKING.  The ONLY thing that will change is that there will be no more updates issued for it.  Depending on how you use your computer(s) you may not HAVE to upgrade at all.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, April 7, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Thank you so much for answering my question. But I just want to make sure I understand correctly. I don't have to update my windows xp right away per SE? The only thing I need to be concern about is updating my system? I do realize at some point I will have to upgrade window. I just need some assistant on what I should do so I won't lose my computer all together. What upgrade do I need to look into to keep my PC running smoothly? Now that I know I have to pay for Window 7 which is the same price as Window 8 I guess eventually I will do so. Is it ok to post my report so that you can see compatibility?
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Thank you so much for answering my question. But I just want to make sure I understand correctly. I don't have to update my right away per SE? The only thing I need to be concern about is updating my system? I do realize at some point I will have to upgrade window. I just need some assistant on what I should do so I won't lose my computer all together. What upgrade do I need to look into to keep my PC running smoothly? Now that I know I have to pay for Window 7 which is the same price as Window 8 I guess eventually I will do so. Is it ok to post my report so that you can see compatibility?
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:49 PM
  • It depends.  If you are on the internet a lot with your XP computer, you should upgrade sooner rather than later.  But if you use it offline only for local projects, you may never need to.  As far as compatibility goes I think it is OK to post your report here.  Just look at it before to see if there is any personal info in it.  And never post your Product Key.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Custom installation required
    You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
    Windows Aero support
    Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
    Outlook Express
    This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
    More info from Dell Inc.
    Dell Inc. has a website that might give you more information about getting Windows 7 running on your PC.
    CPU speed: 2.8 GHz
    Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
    2.0 GB of RAM
    Your PC meets the 1 GB minimum requirement.
    36.2 GB free space available on C:
    Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows
    Virtualization technology not supported
    Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.

Yes I do use the Internet alot. Is there another  security that I can use in place of my Microsoft Essential for right now?

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Download this, It will scan your computer and let you know everything you need to know about upgrading.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:57 PM