none
Report taking long time to load RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

In my report server there are two folders. both contains 2 reports that are retrieving the data from SQL server database (using procedures with few parameters in it).

but reports in one folder loading(when I clicked on report to load, not at data retrieving time) quickly (in 2 to 3 seconds).

and in another folder same process taking too long almost 2 to 3 minutes.

there is no specific permissions on both folders, I simply created folders & uploaded the reports.

but I am getting different loading time for both folder reports.

pleae tell me if more information is required.

thanks in advance

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:09 AM

Answers

• Hello everyone thanks for your replies.

I found my mistake. It is the report that is creating problem.

In first report at the time of appearance "It is loading 1 parameter and data in it was very few"

Now the problem report "It is loading 12 parameters and data in some parameters is very large"

That is why it is taking too much time.

Thanks for your replies, this replies helped me in solving my query performance.

Monday, March 17, 2014 11:14 AM

All replies

• These problems are always interesting to solve.  I find that the ExecutionLog3 view can be of help.  Microsoft has a good article on it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159110.aspx

You'll want to pay attention to the Data Retrieval Time, Processing Time, and Rendering Time.  Data retrieval time deals with how long it took to get the data back from the DB.  Processing time is the report overhead time (tablix processing, grouping, aggregating, etc.).  Rendering time is the time taken to draw it.  There are other things to consider in the additional info columns, but the article should get you going in some direction to narrow down where you are seeing this extra time.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Hi there,

Confirm that the Data Sources and connection strings are equivalent.  You can use SQL Profiler to determine if the issue is on the database side and what discrepancies there are between runs.

cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Sears, T4G Limited, http://www.performancepointing.com

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I am facing 1 problem before retrieving the data into report, not at the time of retrieving of data.

below steps I am following

1: Opening the report manager URL from browser

2: Clicking on folder1 (it contains 1 report)

3: Clicking on report                                            

4: Report opened (parameters enabled for selection)

5: I select parameters values

6: Clicked on View Report to retrieve the data & load in to report.

---- Now my problem is at step 3 to 4. to open the report it is taking too much time.

at this point I am not trying to fetch data from database, I just want to open the report.

(there is another folder on report server, that contains same report but it is taking only 2 seconds to load.

No specific authorization given to folder or any extra settings done.)

thanks.

can anyone please suggest me.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Hi UdayKGR,

As per my understanding, I think this issue can be caused by run folder2 report with a cache (a temporary cope of the report), while folder1 report id render on demand. So the folder2 report render report more quicker than folder1 report. For more details, please see the following document:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178821.aspx

Besides, the SQL views provide the execution log information. The “2” and “3” views were added in more recent releases and contain new fields or they contain fields with friendlier names than the previous releases. So we can look at the ExecutionLog3 to see the most recent data. Especially the Source field. For more details, please see:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159110.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:39 PM
  • Hello everyone thanks for your replies.

I found my mistake. It is the report that is creating problem.

In first report at the time of appearance "It is loading 1 parameter and data in it was very few"

Now the problem report "It is loading 12 parameters and data in some parameters is very large"

That is why it is taking too much time.

Thanks for your replies, this replies helped me in solving my query performance.

Monday, March 17, 2014 11:14 AM