WSUS 6.3 problems on server 2012 r2 RRS feed

• Question

• every week it seems i have to struggle to get updates to work, and it ususally seems to be a problem with bits, eula not downloading or combinations.

software distribution log shows a ton of errors 

nfo WsusService.27 EventLogEventReporter.ReportEvent EventId=364,Type=Error,Category=Synchronization,Message=Content file download failed.
    Reason: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80200049 

and yet i cannot find any matches for that HRESULT via google or any other methods.

BITS seems to immediately fill and throw 5 of these bits-client errors in the system logs every second all day. all im able to do with them is bitsadmin /reset /allusers - nothing else gets it to work

A new BITS job could not be created. The current job count for the user X is equal to or greater than the job limit (60) specified through group policy.  To correct the problem, complete or cancel the BITS jobs that haven't made progress by looking at the error, and restart the BITS service. If this error recurs, contact your system administrator and increate the per-user and per-computer Group Policy job limits.

can anyone recommend how i can figure out why this wsus is so difficult to run?

ive also tried some of these remedies found on various pages that described somewhat similar problems but ive so far not found anything that matches what im continually running up against

thanks in advance

scripts tried:

Sc config bits binpath=”%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe –k netsvcs“ Sc config bits depend = RpcSs EventSystem

Sc config bits start=delayed-auto

Sc config bits type=interact

Sc config bits error=normal

Sc config bits obj=LocalSystem

Sc privs bits privileges=SeCreateGlobalPrivilege/SeImpersonatePrivilege/SeTcbPrivilege/SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege/SeIncreateQuotaPrivilege

Sc sidtype bits type= unrestricted

Sc failure bits reset=86400 actions=restart/60000/restart/120000 ***<-this line errored out and doesnt work

$conf=(get-wsusserver).GetConfiguration()

$conf.BitsDownloadPriorityForeground=$true

$conf.save()

Friday, October 27, 2017 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Will the clients encounter error when trying to get updates from that WSUS server ?

Could you please post a screenshot here ?

Could you please post the details event log for us ?

Any clue in Application log; System log; WSUS log ?

>>Sc failure bits reset=86400 actions=restart/60000/restart/120000 ***<-this line errored out and doesnt work

Can BITS service startup successfully ?

If the BITS service can not startup , I'd suggest you try to use DISM command to see if it can fix it :

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If the issue still persists , please consider "in-place upgrade" :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista--windows-7--window

Hope it is useful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Thanks Elton here's some answers. i might consider the DISM if all else fails, i'll probably use that as a last resort but still its a good suggestion and i appreciate the help.

Will the clients encounter error when trying to get updates from that WSUS server ?

No, they seem to work fine getting updates 

Could you please post a screenshot here ?

Could you please post the details event log for us ?

Any clue in Application log; System log; WSUS log ?

Only the 16398 event as above which seems to indicate the bits queue is filling up very quickly and then preventing anything else from working.

From the bits event log, multiple instances of these, I find im having a difficult time finding anything that matches it or applies to my problem

The BITS service created a new job: 975745f6-b422-476d-9918-d2e8f09ccca5, with owner NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

BITS started the 975745f6-b422-476d-9918-d2e8f09ccca5 transfer job that is associated with the http://wsus.ds.www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v5/eula/msrt2008-eula_hindi-82c58c9d-bcf3-40fe-b221-761e02c9f66d.txt URL.

BITS stopped transferring the 975745f6-b422-476d-9918-d2e8f09ccca5 transfer job that is associated with the http://wsus.ds.www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v5/eula/msrt2008-eula_hindi-82c58c9d-bcf3-40fe-b221-761e02c9f66d.txt URL. The status code is 0x0.

Event IDs 3, 59,60, 4

Can BITS service startup successfully ?

Yes, but getting tons of messages that its not downloading things, mixed with a few successful downloads

Checking against the most recent list of MS patches released, I seem to have most of them (https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/10/microsoft-security-updates-october-2017-release/)

There do also appear to be some issues with the WSUS service account getting changed, im going to look in to that further and ensure everything is working correctly although i dont see any errors in the event logs

Also since the main indication seems to be that the BITS service is being limited by a policy, ill see if I can temporarily remove the policy if that helps.

Not sure what the default BITS limit is or if removing the limit is going to kill the server or bandwidth

I’ll also try and add some workstations to a group that I can try to test updates with ahead of the upcoming Friday afternoon deadline and see what they get.

Cam

Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:09 PM
  • Adam : thanks i'll take another look at this script; we've run it before but i'll need to go through the setup steps and ensure everything is configured properly

we dont seem to have any issues with the server cleanup thus far - seems every other day when we run it, its finding and getting rid of unused updates (another 1300 deleted today) as well as expired and superseded updates. could be its getting rid of them and then just bringing them in again

so far it just seems to be a problem with bringing down all new updates from MS each week and making them available for the workstations.

Cam

Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:18 PM
  • Adam : thanks i'll take another look at this script; we've run it before but i'll need to go through the setup steps and ensure everything is configured properly

we dont seem to have any issues with the server cleanup thus far - seems every other day when we run it, its finding and getting rid of unused updates (another 1300 deleted today) as well as expired and superseded updates. could be its getting rid of them and then just bringing them in again

so far it just seems to be a problem with bringing down all new updates from MS each week and making them available for the workstations.

Cam

If you're running it manually ever other day you're not using the script as intended. Make sure you have the latest version 3.1 and edit the email settings only. Run .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun and that's it.

I'm curious - what version are you currently using? Perhaps an older version?

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:22 PM
  • yep looks like its v3 not 3.1 

ill have to grab a newer copy and see what that does when i get a chance

Cam

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:33 PM
  • still no idea what was happening or why, it seems to have stopped and is working now.

i did run Adams script although the problem had stopped prior to that, and the updates dont appear to be having further problems

I'll mark Adams reply as the answer as its the closest thing to an answer i have.

Cam

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:42 PM