EMET 5.0 RTM - Fail to deploy application via GPO (missing SdbHelper.dll) RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup a distribution point and configured EMET to be deployed from my Windows 2012 R2 Server Essentials server, however on deployment it is failing with the following error:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MsiInstaller
    Date:          8/10/2014 12:17:26 PM
    Event ID:      11308
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Paul-Dell81.LEXFORD.local
    Description:
    Product: EMET 5.0 -- Error 1308. Source file not found: \\doctor\Deploy\EMET5_RTM\SdbHelper.dll.  Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

I have looked at the distribution point and the file SdbHelper.dll does not exist, however this was deployed using the downloaded executable for EMET and msiexc /a

Paul

Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:47 AM

All replies

• Why do you use an administrative installation and not just the 'EMET Setup.msi' file?

W. Spu

Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:30 PM
  • Why do you use an administrative installation and not just the 'EMET Setup.msi' file?

W. Spu

I'm using a administrative install to push EMET out via GPO, this is how it would be done in a medium sized organisation. Running setup interactively doesn't scale beyond a couple of computers.

Paul

Monday, August 11, 2014 6:57 AM
  • As far as I know (not from experience) you can use a GPO to push EMET to your clients without using an administrative install. Place the 'EMET Setup.msi' on your file share and create a package from the complete msi (which contains the SdbHelper.dll).

I have read that an administrative install doesn't extract all files and/or files in the binary table but I looked with Orca at the msi and the file SdbHelper.dll isn't in the binary table. I believe that the system where you create the administrative install also is of importance because files, which are not needed on that system, will not be extracted although they could be needed by other operating systems. Please be aware that I could be wrong because I have little experience with using a GPO for software deployment and couldn't find any documentation which confirms my suspicion.

W. Spu

• Proposed as answer by W. Spu Sunday, August 17, 2014 11:16 AM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 9:22 PM