none
Is sharepoint 2013 search able to crawl exchange mailbox with security trimming based on mailboxes accounts?

Question

• Is sharepoint 2013 search able to crawl exchange mailbox with security trimming based on mailboxes accounts?

if yes, please provide me with the steps

note: I'm not asking about Site Mailboxes

thanks

Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

Your response points to crawling of public folders.  Is the possible for individual mailboxes?  Let me know what you think.

Regards,

kashif

• Edited by Kpbutt Monday, October 13, 2014 2:35 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 2:35 PM
  • It should be, the tricky bit is getting SharePoint to understand exchange permissions and that's clearly done already. Give it a try and let us know.
    Monday, October 13, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Hi Alex,
    I think I should add additional information.  My Exchange Server is 2010.  After testing, here are my results:

- I granted permission to the crawl account on my personal mailbox and created a content source to crawl it as public folder (I tried to trick it and specify a personal mailbox as http://mail.domain.com/owa/myaccount@domain.com/ but it failed with exception:

The search connector framework caught an exception from BDC: System.NotSupportedException: Specified method is not supported.     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Connector.BDC.Exchange.ExchangeNamingContainer.GetAccessUri(IEntity entity, ILobSystemInstance lobSystemInstance)

I thought this would work since I can open the mailbox in OWA using the URL.

Another option I thought I should try was eDiscovery but as the note says, it is only available with Exchange 2013.  Once again I tried to see if creating a eDiscovery Center and a case would work with Exchange 2010.  And when trying to create a source, it fails with error:

The connection to the search service application failed.

Suggestions?  Let me know if I am headed in a completely wrong direction.  Thanks for your help.

Regards,

kashif

Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:15 PM