none
Exchange 2013 - Message Delayed Delivery to Certain Domains RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently migrated from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 in my organization. In the past few days, a few users are receiving the "Delivery delayed" notification when sending E-Mails to certain domains only. "Remote Server returned '400 4.4.7 Message delayed".

"This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.
    The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 19 hours and 59 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time."

Current Setup:

I have a public IP *.*.*.82 pointing to the CAS 2013 for mail.domain.com. Public IP *.*.*.81 is the IP for the outgoing E-Mails and the PTR records is already published for this IP, but haven't published the SPF record yet and I am assuming this could be the reason.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Sathish

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Sathish ,

1.SPF record couldn't be an problem.Because why i am saying is , for some of our customers we don't have the SPF record.

These kind of issues will happen because of the name resolution problem of the dns server assigned for the smart host and in your case i hope smart host would be your cas server.From that cas server please check whether dns server is reachable and also cas server can able to resolve the dns queries.

Please make sure your cas server can able to do a name resolution for the domain where the emails are getting delivered very slowly.

For a testing purpose just have host records of anyone of the problematic domain on the host file present in your cas server.By doing so it will not query the DNS server for name resolution instead it will get resolved with the help of host file.

2.Make sure your ip address is not blacklisted anywhere on the outside world.Use mxtoolbox to find out.

3.Just enable the smtp protocol logging on the send connector to have a deep dig on this case.

Please feel free to reply me if you have any queries.

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:58 AM
  • Hi Sathish,

I agree with Singaravadivelu. Destination email systems use SPF record to verify that messages originate from authorized outbound email servers. If the Sender ID check failed and “reject the message” are be configured in target server, the message will be reject instead of deliver delay.

I want to double confirm whether all account experience this question when send message to that special domain.
    Please try to use nslookup to resolve the DNS records of the problematic domain.
    Besides, please enable the protocol logging. It will help you to troubleshoot the issue, the below article for your reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531.aspx

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Sathish ,

1.SPF record couldn't be an problem.Because why i am saying is , for some of our customers we don't have the SPF record.

These kind of issues will happen because of the name resolution problem of the dns server assigned for the smart host and in your case i hope smart host would be your cas server.From that cas server please check whether dns server is reachable and also cas server can able to resolve the dns queries.

Please make sure your cas server can able to do a name resolution for the domain where the emails are getting delivered very slowly.

For a testing purpose just have host records of anyone of the problematic domain on the host file present in your cas server.By doing so it will not query the DNS server for name resolution instead it will get resolved with the help of host file.

2.Make sure your ip address is not blacklisted anywhere on the outside world.Use mxtoolbox to find out.

3.Just enable the smtp protocol logging on the send connector to have a deep dig on this case.

Please feel free to reply me if you have any queries.

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:58 AM
  • Hi Sathish,

I agree with Singaravadivelu. Destination email systems use SPF record to verify that messages originate from authorized outbound email servers. If the Sender ID check failed and “reject the message” are be configured in target server, the message will be reject instead of deliver delay.

I want to double confirm whether all account experience this question when send message to that special domain.
    Please try to use nslookup to resolve the DNS records of the problematic domain.
    Besides, please enable the protocol logging. It will help you to troubleshoot the issue, the below article for your reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531.aspx

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:15 AM
  • Hello Nithyanandham, Thanks for the sharing the details. Yes, it appears to be a DNS issue and I am working on it to resolve the issue. However, I also receive the following error message to the same domain: "rejected your message to the following email addresses" "Remote Server returned '550 5.1.1 <user@domain.com> Recipient not found." The message to this domain doesn't get rejected always, sometimes the messages get delivered to the target recipients. Thanks, Sathish
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Thanks for your response. Yes, it is a DNS issue and the issue is intermittent. I will enable the protocol logging to troubleshoot further.

Best Regards,

Sathish

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:36 AM