DirectAccess question RRS feed

• Question

• We're beginning the implimentation of our DirectAccess installation and someone asked me a great question:

If my user is connected remotely, say, at a Starbucks and draws an IPv4 address and NAT, would they still be able to connect via DirectAccess?  

I thought it was a good question since IPv6 is mentioned several times in the requirements for DirectAccess on the MSDN info site.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:40 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can use Direct Access from an IPv4 network.  Direct Access will encapsulate the IPv6 traffic over IPv4.

If this was not the case, DA would be pretty much useless, since very few homes and public access hotspots are IPv6 enabled.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:22 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can use Direct Access from an IPv4 network.  Direct Access will encapsulate the IPv6 traffic over IPv4.

If this was not the case, DA would be pretty much useless, since very few homes and public access hotspots are IPv6 enabled.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:22 PM
  • I thought as much, encapsulating IPv6 over IPv4 is the whole point of the Teredo adapter, isn't it?
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:25 PM
  • That is the exact purpose of Teredo, 6to4 and IP-HTTPS - they all accomplish essentially the same thing but using different methods depending on what kind of internet connection you are connected to.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:44 PM