Response times have slowed down noticeably RRS feed

• Question

• When I first installed Windows 8 Pro -- fresh install -- on my Dell Notebook, it performed quite well. It was very responsive.

Overtime however, the response times have slowed down noticeably. For example, if I click the icon for a browser e.g. Chrome or IE, it now takes a few seconds before the browser opens up on my screen.

I also use Visual Studio to write code. Just a month or so ago, I'd click the debug button and the dev server would start up right away. Now I have to wait almost 15-30 seconds before the dev server starts up and I can debug my code.

This slow response is not specific to an app. It seems to affect everything. Even if I have an open browser, if type a new URL, it takes a few seconds before anything happens.

Clearly something I've installed is causing the issue. Any suggestions on how I can figure out what's slowing things down?

P.S. My notebook is a Dell XPS 15z with i7 2.7GHz w/ 8GB of RAM and 250 GB SSD. It's always had solid performance. Also, if I reboot, it seems to help for a while then the performance starts to bog down again.

Thanks, Sam

• Edited by imsam67 Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:19 AM
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:13 AM

Answers

• There's no magic or quick answer.  You have to research every single entry to find out what it is, then try disabling it, and logging out/in (or rebooting), then see whether you find some functionality you need associated with the product has been disabled.  Also try to objectively measure the "sluggishness" in several ways so you can tell if you're making headway.

I'd start with the entries in the Run keys.

My own personal finding is that these entries add little value, and I've been able to do without most of the things in the Run list, and some of the services, without much downside.  As an example, note how many entries I've unchecked here:

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:11 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:33 PM

All replies

• a couple of things... virus is a possiblity

but i am thinking trim did not get set on the ssd.  It may have, but there is a way to tell:

http://lifehacker.com/5640971/check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7

it is for windows 7 but it still pertains to windows8

Sunday, December 2, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Have you looked at what programs are starting via the freeware Autoruns tool?  I find that most stuff that's added to the Run keys (which start programs when you log in) isn't needed, but all those things take up resources.  Windows 8 can run fairly lean - with as few as 30 something processes running.

-Noel

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Noel,

First, thank you for your response. I downloaded and ran the autoruns tool. The problem is I don't have the slightest clue which apps to disable. There are a lot of apps/drivers/agents being loaded into memory. I'm sure some of them are necessary and the others are forced upon me by software vendors. Where do I start?

Here are some screen shots...

Thanks, Sam

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:47 AM
  • There's no magic or quick answer.  You have to research every single entry to find out what it is, then try disabling it, and logging out/in (or rebooting), then see whether you find some functionality you need associated with the product has been disabled.  Also try to objectively measure the "sluggishness" in several ways so you can tell if you're making headway.

I'd start with the entries in the Run keys.

My own personal finding is that these entries add little value, and I've been able to do without most of the things in the Run list, and some of the services, without much downside.  As an example, note how many entries I've unchecked here:

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:11 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:33 PM
  • No, Windows 8 is not consistently faster, EXCEPT for booting up, when configured the same as a Windows 7 system, and both equally fresh.  Windows 8 is about 30% faster to boot up (not considering Hybrid Boot, which is more like Windows 7 Hibernation which is also fast).

Have you seen specific cases where Windows 8 outpaces its predecessor?  I'd like to know what they are.  I certainly want to test them in a controlled setup.  I don't have a bias either way; I want to know the real truth about what's faster.

See my thread where I did head to head benchmarks:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproperf/thread/41a88ab9-da74-46bb-8314-8d6190beb81a

Windows 7 is faster at some things, and Windows 8 at others, but not hugely so in either direction.

-Noel

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:14 PM
  • I just completed some additional file system testing over in the other thread.

It seems Windows 8 can parse the folder structure faster, but isn't as fast at actually reading the file data from within the files.  Very strange.

-Noel

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:08 AM
  • 8 gave my 5 YO laptop a new life literally. When i brought it was a rocket, core2 duo , 17'' display, nVidia dedicated graphic card, etc.

Before i go for windows 8, i was 99% ready to make a new purchase. It was slow running windows 7. 

Now.. after 1 week of having 8 on this old laptop.. i think it is fast enough not to go out and buy another pc. I love it !

Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:11 PM
  • 8 gave my 5 YO laptop a new life literally

Do you have limited RAM in that laptop?  Windows 8 does run fewer processes and use a little less RAM than Windows 7.

I suspect just doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on it would have gotten you most of the way there.  Please check back here and relate your experience after you've loaded it up with all kinds of software again.

-Noel

Friday, December 7, 2012 3:26 AM