PC will not sleep RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a home made PC with the following specs:

Intel Dual Core 6600
    1GB DDR2
    256MB Graphics Card
    300GB Hard-drive
    Vista Home Premium

The problem i am currently experiencing is that when i try and put the computer into sleep by pressing the button on the start menu the monitor will turn off but the pc fans seem to keep on running. I have disabled the abilty for my mouse or keybpard to tun the PC back on however they still seem to work and they are off in the Device manager and the BIOS. I have recently been trying to connect an xbox 360 as an extender and in the setting selected allow it to use media centre even when the PC is in sleep (or something like that). Is that the reason the pc is no longer sleeping. It will shut down no problems at all.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Andy
    Saturday, September 8, 2007 4:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please read the following:

Sleep: Keeps your session in memory and puts the computer in low-power state so that you can quickly resume working.

Hibernate: Saves your session and turns off your computer. When you turn on the computer, Windows restores your session.

From your post it seems you put your computer on sleep while you're sleeping at night, hence you're not in need for it all the night. Thus I suggest you to use Hibernation property. Note that for 1 GB of RAM you have, hibernation will require 1 GB free storage to be able to save session in a file for fast resume.

Good luck

Saturday, September 8, 2007 5:29 PM