Making More Room on C: RRS feed

• Question

• I will try to keep this short. I really hope someone has some answers for me. To explain why I'm trying to find this information, I have a Neat Scanner that I use for business purposes. After updating the software and downloading the newest version, I am in desperate need of clearing some space on my hard drive so that I can defragment my computer. I need to clear more space in order to do so. If I don't defrag, this damn scanner isn't going to work properly.  I have cleared quite a bit of space but I need to know if it's ok to clear OLD 09 Windows Update files? These are taking up so much needed space. Mainly it's the KB and $NT files. I thought it would be easier if I included a screenshot of the Add/Remove Programs Utility so in case there are any questions of what I am referring to you can see it more clearly here. Please someone help! I don't want to delete something that my boss will kill me for! : )

Thank you! 

Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:39 PM

All replies

• You don't want to remove any of the Windows update files.  The date only indicates when the update was installed, but the updates do not get obsolete.  They are necessary to keep your system up to date and you might cause problems if you try to uninstall them.

You need to have a very knowledgeable person, or a professional, look at your computer and determine if there are old programs or files that can be deleted without causing any problems.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by melaroo Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by melaroo Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:51 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:46 PM
  • You can delete "$NTUninstall" or "$NTServicePackUninstall" folders that appear in the C:\Windows folder.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:47 PM