Moving SUP between SQL. Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We are moving WSUS SUP from one SQL instance to another SQL instance (Cluster FCI). Its Windows 2012 R2 Windows update service role.

Both instances are SQL 2014 to SQL 2014 names instances.

I am able to detach and attached the DB following few online articles. I have updated the registry as well point WSUS to new SQL\Instance.

I have assigned WSUS machine name as login to target SQL instance. Made WSUS machine , downer on SUP db.

Unfortunately when i try to open WSUS console i encounter the below error.  

Any further pointers what should be causing this ?

Thanks in advance

Monday, January 9, 2017 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hi MS Expert,

Here is a blog about how to move WSUS database, please check if all the steps are all correct:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mwiles/2011/06/17/how-to-move-the-wsus-database/

If the steps are correct will it still not work, I would suggest re-run post-installation step on the WSUS server:

"C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MS Expert 2010 Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MS Expert 2010 Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by MS Expert 2010 Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Hi Anne,

If i run postinstall, would it impact anything to the downloaded info (like catalog information already stored) on WSUS DB? will it reset it?

I am bit cautious since We are using this WSUS with Configuration manager (Installed software update point), and if it resets the database info as well, then all info collected and populated in configuration might also reset? Any inputs

Or post install will just set the permissions only on new SQL instance where DB is moved?

Regards,

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Hi Anne\everyone

This issue is resolved now. I have followed other migration articles online to migrate and permission settings on DB once moved to new SQL instance + for above issue using the port number in registry since our sql instance is listening on custom port.

Since we have custom port for SQL Instance, adding port number in sqlservername registry has resolved the issue. so suppose port number is 1444 . We have SQL FCI.

<SQLServername\Instancename>,Port

mention it as <SQLServername\Instancename>,1444

I hope will be helpful for those facing the similar issue after DB is migrated and has custom port for new SQL instance

Regards

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:37 PM

All replies

• Hi MS Expert,

Here is a blog about how to move WSUS database, please check if all the steps are all correct:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mwiles/2011/06/17/how-to-move-the-wsus-database/

If the steps are correct will it still not work, I would suggest re-run post-installation step on the WSUS server:

"C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Hi Anne,

If i run postinstall, would it impact anything to the downloaded info (like catalog information already stored) on WSUS DB? will it reset it?

I am bit cautious since We are using this WSUS with Configuration manager (Installed software update point), and if it resets the database info as well, then all info collected and populated in configuration might also reset? Any inputs

Or post install will just set the permissions only on new SQL instance where DB is moved?

Regards,

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Hi Anne\everyone

This issue is resolved now. I have followed other migration articles online to migrate and permission settings on DB once moved to new SQL instance + for above issue using the port number in registry since our sql instance is listening on custom port.

Since we have custom port for SQL Instance, adding port number in sqlservername registry has resolved the issue. so suppose port number is 1444 . We have SQL FCI.

<SQLServername\Instancename>,Port

mention it as <SQLServername\Instancename>,1444

I hope will be helpful for those facing the similar issue after DB is migrated and has custom port for new SQL instance

Regards

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:37 PM
  • Hi MS Expert,

Glad to hear you have solved the issue and thanks for sharing the solution with us.

Then, you may mark useful reply as answer, so that this case can be closed.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:29 AM